What's new

Black Hawk Down Superbit Deluxe DTS (1 Viewer)

Britton

Screenwriter
I can see how the R3 version can make one frustrated about the R1 BHD Deluxe, but if they do come out with a Superbit down the road, I won't pick it up. The movie was good, but I bought the DVD mainly for the History Channel documentary. In fact, I haven't even bothered to watch the movie itself, but I've gone though the documentary as well as the Frontline program.

On the other hand, I noticed the Japanese are getting a Ronin: Ultimate Edition with DTS (from the logo on the cover). Now THAT's something I could go for. It really does make me cosider getting that region free player someday.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Those fargin bastiges! I can only hope this means it will be available in R1 in the not too distant future. I've been waiting for this to be available in DTS before purchasing it. I refuse to buy a DVD twice and I've been hearing rumors for sooooo long now. Just give it to us already!:angry:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I couldn't imagine DTS significantly improving the already fine DD soundtrack. I'll keep the R1 collectors edition.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
R1 will get a Black Hawk Down DVD with DTS eventually, especially since it has the greatest Superbit "potential" of Columbia's unreleased titles.

Wasn't there a R2 disc that had DTS as well?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Anyone who follows DVD forums should have known over a year ago that a Superbit BHD is eventually coming to R1.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Well to balance it out...

Although the R3 Korean special edition release of Black Hawk Down is a Superbit Deluxe release...there are some compromises.

We in R1 get the three commentary tracks with filmmakers, cast, and actual veterans.

Those in R3 miss out on the commentaries but gain a DTS audio option.

The Superbit Deluxe in Korea also adds a soundtrack CD which helps justify the high retail.

If you really want to get all uppity over a release, the R2 Japanese release not only sports the commentaries and two additional special features discs ANDDTS audio. Yep, those in Japan get the best of both worlds.

RexW

Stunt Coordinator
Just watched my Deluxe 3-disc version in glourious DTS last weekend. As long as I don't think about the $70+ I paid for it I'm alright.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I've heard it. Once you equalize volume, virtually no different. The mix is slightly different, some bigger emphasis on LFE (as is Ridley Scott's habit), but nothing worth dropping double the cash on

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Having listened to the three BHD commentaries already I sold my R2 2 disc set and have ordered the R3 superbit. Another disc of extras (over the R2) and a dts track? Yummy.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Price is one reason I don't jump all over the other region's versions of the US films. I'd love to have Ronin and BHD in DTS, but at $40 a pop it's hard to justify. Now there are exceptions like Jurassic Park Superbit, which has been reported is a step up video wise on a very disappointing US transfer. I ponied up $42 for that title.

RexW

Stunt Coordinator
Gotta agree with Jeff on the review of the DTS and Dolby. The Dolby soundtrack rocks but, IMHO, the DTS gives a deeper LFE track. I haven't had any time to do any level readings but since I'm such a DTS snob ;-) I take the DTS track over the DD. But of course the $$$$ can be difficult to justify.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think the best overall solution, Buy 3-disc now, buy Superbit later. After shipping you'll still be up about $30

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I think the best overall solution, Buy 3-disc now, buy Superbit later. After shipping you'll still be up about $30
Yep, then sell the current version on Ebay the minute the Superbit gets announced. That's what I'll be doing. :D

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I can't wait for the R1 DTS. DD ain't close to the theatrical mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks