What's new

Black Hawk Down: SE (1 Viewer)

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
It just seems stupid that a movie that won an Oscar for best sound would not have DTS. Oh well, I knew I was smart to hold off until the SE, saved myself $20.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
It just seems stupid that a movie that won an Oscar for best sound would not have DTS.
Why? I love DTS, but it is not the "Be all end all". The DD 5.1 track on the original disc is incredible.

Also, if you go with what you said, I believe The Matrix won an Oscar for sound and it is DD 5.1 only, and still one of the best tracks out there, IMHO.

Not every DVD needs a DTS track to show how great it is. Take Toy Story 2, Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, A Bugs Life, Fight Club, or The Matrix as examples. All have fantastic DD 5.1 soundtracks. Besides Black Hawk Down is one of the few films that I would like to see the space on the DVD used for commentaries instead of a DTS track. This disc will be one of the few that I actually will make the time to listen to the commentaries on.

-Dean-

Jay W

Supporting Actor
It just seems stupid that a movie that won an Oscar for best sound would not have DTS.
This makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Like Dean said, I don't see the correlation between winning the academy award and having DTS as a must on the DVD release. It's the mix that is important, and if you think that you're somehow missing out on that experience with DD 5.1, I don't know what to tell you.

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
Don't get me wrong, I too would rather see disc space used for commentaries instead of a DTS track as long as the mix is good (never saw it outside the theater). I'm not saying that DTS is the end all (I'll still be getting it) but it would be nice. I retract what I said about it being "stupid" but I'll rather say: "odd" (but you are right, just as long as it's good, that's all I ask).

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the camp who thinks the DD will sound just as good or better than the DTS track (so long as the same mix is used).

I still may wait for the Superbit for the slightly improved video quality though. I'm not a big extras fan - though they do sound more interesting on this set.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Hi Richard,

As I hinted at long ago, the R1 version is the one to get for the following reasons:

1) It's the only release that has the interactive Mission Timeline.

2) It has the original theatrical burned-in subtitles.

3) It's the only release that has a subtitle stream during the Task Force Ranger commentary identifying each speaker.

4) Because I had a little extra time to work on it, it's the most polished of all versions -- especially in terms of multi-angle features and menu navigation. There were also some 16x9 problems with the various image galleries that have now been corrected for the R1 release.

For some, these might seem to be merely cosmetic improvements and not worth the wait. But based on your post, I'm sure you'll appreciate the differences.

Hope you enjoy it! :)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Thanks Charlie, it's always a pleasure when those who worked on these discs tell us about them, and we really appreciate it. I intentioanlly held off on the initial release to wait for this version. Good to know it was the right choice.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I can't even express how completely valuable such a "minor" feature is on group commentaries from non-actors. Your post is just a great example of how to make a great release even better.

There was never any doubt that this would be a worthy release, but now I feel even better about it.

Thanks!

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I will not be buying this film on DVD until the DTS version is released. And that version, as we all know, is the SUPERBIT Version.

I want to hear this movie in the best audio format available, and for me, that is the DTS mix of this film.

We all know a Superbit is coming and that is the version I wish to own and watch.

Peace Out Everybody!!

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I knew it. I knew without even thinking that when I opened this thread the overwhelming majority of the writing would be rants about DTS and how BHD doesn't have it and how everyone's not going to purchase the 3-disc, which has got to be 2003's best dvd, at least until November.

The dolby track is quite good, folks. And let's remember the movie is a bit more important than the sound mix.

Regards,
Nathan

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Charlie, it's always a pleasure when those who worked on these discs tell us about them, and we really appreciate it. I intentioanlly held off on the initial release to wait for this version. Good to know it was the right choice.
Ditto from me on all counts. I'm thrilled to be getting this 3 disc set. It sounds like you put together a real gem.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Ill be buying this for sure. Any complaints about the lack of DTS are silly. The features make this release worth every penny. I'll buy this, and an eventual Superbit release if it is an improvement. Remember, any Superbit release would not contain the additional commentaries.

Matt_P

Second Unit
Even if you're not a fan of extras, this one is still a must-own release (and judging from the quality of the extras, etc., it may convert some of you who dislike extras).

If you'd prefer to wait months for the superbit (if there is to be one), an extra-less release which may offer a minor improvement of picture/sound quality (IMHO, dts is not all it's cracked up to be, especially against a dolby track this amazing), by all means go ahead.

Considering what's included in this set (the commentary with the actual troops alone is reason enough for a purchase) for only $24.99 at Target next week, it's a no brainer. Why deprive yourself?

Anyone able to describe the packaging type?

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Ditto #2. It seems like a fantastic set and I'll be happy to be picking this one up.

Lowell

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Charlie,

Is the quality of the transfer the same as the original? I know this version has the burned-in subtitles.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Ditto #2. It seems like a fantastic set and I'll be happy to be picking this one up.
[Luke Skywalker Voice]I'm with you too![/Luke Skywalker Voice]

This is definitely my most anticipated release until TTT:EE. Can't wait until Tuesday!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks