What's new

Black hawk Down review...bad news (1 Viewer)

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
Well ths disc was reviewed at dvdfile.com ad it was said that it was left wthout the dts track. This might have been mentioned before but I am pissed as I was looking forward to it. He des ention the DD trac is good however. Go check it out for yourself.

-B

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
The Dolby Digital track was "good", eh?
That's interesting...being that the Dolby tracks are usually terrible... :rolleyes

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
It's early...just early enough to annoy me when I see the silliness from people who get pissed when a movie doesn't have a sound format that they don't know will sound better than DD anyway; and diss the movie as a result.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Here here!

And although I have not seen the disc, judging by CTHV discs in generally, I'll bet you this 'barebone' release will be pound for pound one of the better discs out there in terms of picture and sound.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
As Sony is one of those studios that loves to milk their customers for all they're worth, there will be a Ridley Scott approved special edition (more than likely with DTS) later on. Perhaps as a 2 disc Superbit version.

Dan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Columbia announced the BHD SE a LONG time ago, so I don't see what the problem is. If you buy the barebones, you have no one to blame for being milked than yourself. Scott Free just couldn't finish the disc and have everything they want on there in time for a June release.

More than likely there will be a DTS track on the SE

I didn't see an actual review of the movie on DVDFile, instead it seemed to just be one long undeserved rag on Ridley Scott

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see an actual review of the movie on DVDFile, instead it seemed to just be one long undeserved rag on Ridley Scott
I agree. There was also (unnecessary) criticism by the reviewer for movie's ending credits listing the 19 Americans who died and not listing the 1000 Somalians who died. I got the impression that the reviewer considered this "unfair." Whatever.

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
ok. ok relax boys. ya know somtimes you guys make it impossible to post on here. i was just stating a fact(no DTS) and one that I did not hear(the SE coming out) You don't have to jump down my throught. I love this forum but sometimes you guys are harsh and it is really annoying! I know for some people some empathism is difficult. but my god I an uninformed comment.

geez

-B

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Brian, that's why, and this is seriously just friendly advice, before you ask a question, do a search.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Yes. Dolby Digital sucks and dts represents the voice of the gods.
Not in my temple, as I take each format on its own.

But if you actually want to use the "voice of the gods" metaphor, I personally feel that SDDS 8 channel would be the actual choice.

I've had the opportunity to do side by side comparrisions of films in all three formats, as a friend of mine is genral manager of a theater. In all test cases, SDDS came out ahead over both DTS and DD...tha is for the first week or so.

Once a print has been running a while, the SDDS tracks get worn out as they are very near the edgee of the film near the sprocket holes and are easily damaged in the normal course of operation (that is why they run along both side so there is a back-up track to improve longevity).

So after that, SDDS starts to experience drop outs, and DD and DTS are then the better choice by default.

Just as man is forbidden to trod on Mt. Olympus nor in Asgard, so to is he limited to experiencing SDDS 8 in the temple of the cinema. Being a mere mortal, when he goes to his home theater, he must choose DD or DTS by default, leaving the divine dream of SDDS 8 out of his reach in his humble abode.

Oscar

Second Unit
Everyone who says that DD sucks should buy or rent the Episode 1 DVD.

Period.

But i would take DTS over Dolby any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Depending if there is a difference between the two tracks.

I plan on buying the first issue of BHD.

I truly don´t mind specs or DTS.

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator
I imported the R3 edition and just wanted to report that the picture and DD tracks are terrific.

Yes, it is barebones, but it was also cheap and at least this time we have been told up front that a SE is on its way.

I am enjoying this edition but will also be eagerly awaiting the SE when it arrives, hopefully with DTS, commentary and if possible the brilliant History Channel documentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks