BLACK HAWK DOWN R3 DVD review

Discussion in 'DVD' started by YANG, May 13, 2002.

1. YANG

YANG Second Unit

I will post the review of this disc once i receive my copy,which is due out in this week or next.

Note that this SINGAPORE release is a censored PG friendly edition,due to local rating of NC16 during theatrical screenings.Information of DVD-

------------------------------------------------------------

Releasing studio: ALLIANCE ENTERTAINMENT SINGAPORE/COLUMBIA TRISTAR INT'L.

DVD region coding: 3

Specs: WIDESCREEN,DD5.1 surr.,multi-language subtitles

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yang, one thing you should know is that the R3 discs are identical to the US one for most releases. Every Columbia disc I've gotten recently is coded for region 1,3,4
    Just FYI [​IMG]

3. YANG

YANG Second Unit

"Yang, one thing you should know is that the R3 discs are identical to the US one for most releases."

JEFF,

You're partially right.FYI,there are R3 edited version DVDs from ASIA subjected to be sold in SINGAPORE,MALAYSIA and INDONESIA,due to censorship restrictions to contents that maybe offensive to certain religious,race and culture groups.If you look carefully at your CTHV,UNIVERSAL R3 discs,the catalogue number stated will have "MNWS"---this means that you're having non-edited version as with the U.S original cut and extras.If you see something different,the disc could be originated from the three country as stated above.

The edited DVDs from SINGAPORE are...

WARNER-PAYBACK, L.A CONFIDENTIAL, HEAT, INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMP., PERFECT MURDER, SOLDIER, POSTMAN, LETHAL WEAPON 4, ROMEO MUST DIE, EXORCIST, GREEN MILE

CTHV-CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON, CHARLIES ANGELS, 6TH DAY, HOLLOWMAN, and upcoming BLACK HAWK DOWN

4. YANG

YANG Second Unit

Just received my copy of B.H.D last night...the edited version that is.
    Before i start,i have to warn you guys that if you are interested in buying R3 release of B.H.D,make sure that your are ordering the HK release,with technical grid layout like UNIVERSAL's info grid.
    The local version cover work looks 99.5% identical with the R1 coverart.Even the catalogue number looks the same,without any indication that this version is subjected for sale in SINGAPORE only.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Releasing studio: COLUMBIA TRISATR INTERNATIONAL SINGAPORE/ALLIANCE ENTERTAINMENT SINGAPORE
    DVD release rating: PG
    Film running time: 137mins approx.(7mins edited)
    Picture ratio: ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN 2.35:1
    Audio: ENGLISH DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 SURROUND(credited on coverart)
    Subtitles: ENGLISH & SIMPLIFIED CHINESE
    DVD format: DUAL LAYERD DVD9
    Color: NTSC
    Extra features: DD CITY trailer,Making of-ON THE SET(24mins approx.),Theatrical Trailer of SPIDERMAN(DD5.1),Theatrical trailer of THE ONE(DD5.1),Cast and crew filmographies.
    ================================================== ==========
    VIEWS
    ------
    Packaging and DISC-
    As i had mentioned,the coverart looks 99.5% identical to the U.S design.Without looking carefully,consumers may thought that this release is imported from the STATES.The disc is packaged in a black asian designed keepcase,not those easy release amaray keepcases.
    The disc is not pressed/manufactured by WAMO international.Colored graphics of JOSH HARTNETT is printed on the disc itself.
    CONTENTS
    ---------
    The major contents in this release is identical to the U.S release in term of extras.The U.S release features a animated bluish background.This release main menu is in sunset yellow colored background,with a target pointer pointed at a BLACK HAWK.
    At the language menu,there is no selection of either DPL SURR or 5.1 SURR.But only selection of english or chinese subtitles.The default audio for the film is DD5.1.
    At the special features menu,the accesss to the trailers is direct,no hidden in another page.
    NOTE THAT THERE IS NO FILM RESUME FUNCTION IN THIS DISC!Yes,if you stopped the playback half way thru to access to the other extra features,you will have no way to go back to go back to where you have last visited.Even if you try to hit the MENU button to go back to where you had stopped,you will be brought to the CAST N CREW filmographies,where it is located at TITLE 1 of the disc.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The main feature film is allocated at TITLE 6 of the disc.
    CENSORED PARTS
    ---------------
    The total running time of this film is 137mins approx.About 7mins had been trimmed off.Various scenes of explosion and gunshots had been toned down,to minimised the effect of the original theatrical prentation.
    The censored parts are--
    START-
    During the raid on UN food supply,famine victims including women and childrens were gunned down by the mob.Scene removed.
    BATTLE-
    1.EVERSMAN leads a small section to the crash site.On the way,SCOTTY's finger gets hit by a mob.Focus shot on the wound/dangling finger-scene removed.
    2.During the attack,a medic picks up a blown off hand from the ground,keep it into his bag.Scene removed.
    3.Transporting the POWs off the site,a RPG hits the truck.A soldiers body flies off to the ground.Shots on the fatal wound--scattered bowels and organs.Scene removed.
    4.Medics carried the dead man half body--scene removed.
    5.Unprofessinal surgical attempt to join torn artery of JAMIE SMITH,camera shots at the torn wound--scene removed.Only verbal description on the wound and process preserved.
    RETREAT-
    Meddivac team tries to remove the PILOT WOLCOTT's dead body of SUPER61.One medic points the torchlight to the pilot's limb which had been clamp hard by the control panel.Scene removed.
    Presentation quality-
    VIDEO-It seems to me that this release is mastered in a high definition,with all the sharpness and details as clear as possible.Contrast of the whole feature seems to be higher by a minor level.
    Audio-The 5.1 surround sound is quite impressive for a edited local tranfer.Although impacts of explosions and gunshots had been toned down by a certain level,the overall soundtrack is sure to please viewers who had been impressed by the U.S productions.Surround channels works non-stop to bring the audience into the middle of the battle.Directional effects impressive.HANS ZIMMER score well recorded and enveloping.
    VIDEO QUALITY: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] /5
    AUDIO QUALITY: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] /5
    DISC QUALITY: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] /5
    MAIN FEATURE: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] /5 (for being censored)
    Equipment used:
    PHILIPS FR755 receiver,with 5.1 analogue audios feeded from PHILIPS DVD951 with DD5.1 decoding.All channels connected with AUDIOQUEST TURQIOSE 1M.POLK AUDIO S6 fronts,POLK AUDIO CS-150,WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 3 for surrounds.Speaker cable used for front three channels,VAN DER HUL SNOWLINE 2meter each channel.

5. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

Good thing I read this review cause I was seriously considering to buy it. But with all those censored parts, I'm going to have to pass and hope for a similar release in R1.
    Damn censors. [​IMG]

6. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

7. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

Aaron, is the Korean Superbit version censored at all?

8. CharlieC

CharlieC Stunt Coordinator

Nope, the R3 Korean Version is not censored at all and it is fabulous!!!

If you want the best audio and video performance possible and have not bought R1 BHD 3 disc set, this is the one to get.

9. lakshmant

lakshmant Agent

i just got the 3 disc superbit from koreandvds.com good service just to tell you how good the 3 disc super bit is at around 2 min into the film there is the silent ambience of a market and suddenly a bullet zips through it was so realistic in DTS that i just turned back and thought something was coming the tone was so so good.

this is the only disc of BHD if you ever buy it .

i use a onkyo THX DVD player with inbuilt DTS and DD decoding just for equip info.

10. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    There is some pretty extensive discussion of the R3 Black Hawk Down Superbit Deluxe in this thread.

11. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

Thanks everyone for your help. I've decided to place my order. [​IMG]

12. phil hinton

phil hinton Agent

Review of the R3 Superbit Deluxe Edition Here It is uncut and IS the definitive version of the movie.