Black Hawk Down Music question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sean Moon, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I was watching the supplements on the Black Hawk Down Deluxe Edition again today, and while watching some of the trailers, there is this amazing piece of music played on some of them. It is a womans voice singing with drums playing in the back. I cant think of how else to describe it. It is played during the end of the theatrical trailer.
    I wish to know what this music is, and if it is indeed on the motion picture soundtrack CD. I would really like to get a hold of this music track, but want confirmation its on the soundtrack before I purchase it.

Thanks.

2. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

I think you're talking about Moby's "Why does my heart feel so bad?" It is track four on his album Play--the section used in the various BHD trailers is the "B" section from the song. You should be able to find audio clips online easily to confirm (such as Amazon.com).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

BTW, Zimmer's score is an unconventional, underrated score that fares better on album than most may think. The last song used in the film, co-sung by Lisa Gerrard is gorgeous and haunting.

For future reference, the best place to identify trailer music is at http://www.soundtrack.net/trailers

3. Sean Moon

Thank you

4. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

The entire Black Hawk Down soundtrack is fantastic.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Many theatrical trailers use music from other films, not the subject-film's own score. That's because the score is one of the last things to be completed, and simply isn't available when the trailers must be completed. (Ever notice how many movies use the music from Apollo 13 and The Rocketeer in their ads? Second-Hand Lions was this year's Rocketeer recycler.) Chances are the music you're looking for is from some other film entirely. (In fact, it sounds almost like one of Enya's vocal pieces from The Fellowship of the Ring. Who released Blackhawk Down? If it was New Line I'd say the odds are pretty good that's what it was.)

6. Sean Moon

I am a big fan of Hans Zimmers scores, and have toyed with the notion of buying this soundtrack a few times, but watching that trailer again just made me think of it. I know that not all music in trailers is from the movie itself....a good example is Hans Zimmers stuff. Almost every major action movie from the mid to late 90s used something of his in the trailer, mainly from Crimson Tide.

7. Todd Beachler

Todd Beachler Stunt Coordinator

Going through old post, I had to bring this back to the top.

Sean, buy the soundtrack! It has several great pieces on it.

I love the blend of ethnic instruments and the modern keyboards and distorted guitar. It works so well for the film. [​IMG]

8. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

IMHO, Zimmer's best work, and one of the best scores of the 90s, is The Thin Red Line. Track 3, Journey to the Line, has to be the most influential piece of film music in the past few years. I've heard it emulated several times, even by Zimmer himself in Matchstick Men!

Really looking forward to The Last Samurai. He seems to have a recent knack with ethnically flavored scores.

9. Sean Moon

Oooooooh.....didnt see that he is doing Last Samurai, that should be really sweet. I was naturally assuming that James Horner was doing it, since Ed Zwick and him worked on Glory and all. My favorite Hans Zimmer though is Broken Arrow. It is just a nice blend of action and softness, with Duane Eddy doing the guitar pieces on it. Just beautiful stuff.

10. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

I a big fan of Hans Zimmer. My favorite piece by him has to be Gladiator....

Good stuff