Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
Whatcha get total, disks/digital other?
Disks I got 3 UHDs including Snake Eyes
Streams I think I bought about 10, nothing crazy
Video games I bought Far Cry 6 and Guardians of the Galaxy digitally.

Other stuff I got was Costco’s awesome Cricut Maker bundle, some Milwaukee tools from Home Depot and 3D printing filament from Printed Solid.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Pretty pathetic haul this year compared to years past. All blu-rays except where indicated as 4K. Most were $8-10 each, except the Disney/Pixar titles that were $18, and the Batman titles that were $6.

Supernatural Season 15
Don't Breathe 2
Wrath of Man
The Forever Purge
(4K)
V for Vendetta (4K)
Soul
Luca
Raya and the Last Dragon
F9: The Fast Saga
Batman: The Long Halloween Pt 1 & 2
In the Heights
Snake Eyes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
A Quiet Place Part II
Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard
Battlestar Galactica
Season 1

Battlestar Galactica is the only one I actually bought on BF at Big Lots. The others were at Best Buy and Amazon's early BF sales last week.

Considering buying some more digital titles, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I actually haven't gotten any movies this year. That is unusual, but Amazon's sales this year appear to be more limited than in years past on the stuff I want. Many of the items I have been eyeing for a while hoping they would go down have stayed the same price or only had a limited discount. The Blu-ray version of The Farewell, which is normally $19.99, only went down to $15.99, even though the DVD counterpart has been regularly available for $5 most of the time and the movie is two years old at this point. So that was not a big enough discount to make me feel like I needed to grab it immediately.

Chronicle Books, which publishes a lot of Art Of books about films, is having a 35% off sale on their website and free shipping for orders over $25. Even though their website typically sells at retail, this discount can make some of their prices actually beat Amazon's ask for the same item. So I got The Art of Encanto for $27.63 shipped instead of Amazon's $40.58.

If anyone else wants to look through their selection, their website is www.chroniclebooks.com.

Disney Music Emporium is having a 15% off sale plus free shipping. This isn't a huge discount because there are usually various 15% off codes available for their site year-round. But their shipping is a lot of money. The last time I paid shipping there, it was $6.82 to ship one CD. So the combination of the 15% off and no shipping does add up. I used this opportunity to pick up the Legacy Collection soundtrack of Pinocchio, which is one of the few titles in that series I somehow never got around to buying previously. Amazon is now out of stock of that one, so I'm glad I was still able to get it from Disney. Anyone interested in a newer release may want to grab the new expanded score release of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which appears to be available on CD exclusively there. www.disneymusicemporium.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
From Best Buy, I picked up Wonder Woman 1984 and Angel Has Fallen on UHD for $9.99 each.

From Target, I took advantage of the Buy Two Get One sale to upgrade Revenge of the Sith to UHD, grab the sixth season of "Legends of Tomorrow" on Blu-ray, and pick up The Thin Man Goes Home on Blu-ray.

From Deep Discount, I grabbed the fourth season of "Legends of Tomorrow" for $13.98 and then added Children of the Damned to get up to the free shipping. And then used promo code GOBBLE to get five dollars and change knocked off the total.

Definitely lackluster compared to previous years, but to be honest I didn't miss the frenzy. It's nice for Thanksgiving to not be about commerce again.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I did most of my damage at Best Buy's early November 4K sale (mostly $7.99-$9.99 titles on sale), and just a few from Amazon and Gruv:

Arrival
Batman v. Superman ultimate cut
Fast/Furious 9
Field of Dreams
Gattaca
Godzilla
Godzilla vs. King Kong
Hitchcock collection (The Birds, Psycho, Rear Window, Vertigo)
Hobbes and Shaw
Howard the Duck
Hulk
Jojo Rabbit
Justice League (Zack Snyder version)
King Kong
Scott Pilgrim
Tenet
Terminator Dark Fate
V for Vendetta
Wonder Woman 1984

LOTR Theatrical trilogy on BD, it was $6.

Also snagged the cheapo Walmart 70" 4K for $400.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy and Amazon had Game of Thrones complete series in UHD for $159 so bit on that since the HBO streams always looked awful for me. Picked up a couple of Amazon dots for $19.99 a piece coupled with multi color smart bulbs. Year of PlayStation+ code for $20 off the regular price. Switched my email and credit card used for payment to get the annual Hulu for $1.99 per month for a year deal (actually this year it could be $0.99 per month). A few other UHDs (Ghostbusters, Tenet, Goonies, Willy Wonka) for $9.99 each. Bugs Bunny 80th anniversary Blu ray set for $39.99 at Amazon

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not specifically on today’s date, but on Best Buy’s pre-BF sale a few weeks ago, I picked up a pair of 14tb external drives marked down to about $190 from $300 and a couple UHD titles (Ad Astra and Alita) marked down to $10. Got Terminator Dark Fate and Mission Impossible Fallout on UHD for $8 each from Amazon when they were competing with someone else’s advance sale.

But it’s been quiet today. My rule of thumb lately is not to buy a disc if I don’t see myself watching it within a week or two of its arrival and nothing was fitting that bill.

If someone would drop the 3D edition of WW84 closer to the prices that the UHD edition has been offered at, I’d jump on that.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Are we talking actual Black Friday, BF week or the entire BF season? :lol:

Not much for actual Black Friday itself. Just used an Amazon B2G1 for Black Widow 4K, Roma (Criterion) BD and Stand by Me 4K for $43+tax total plus some stuff on Vudu: their Avengers 4K bundle (since I didn't have digital for the 1st flick and had HD only for the rest), Guardians of the Galaxy 4K bundle (since I only had them in HD before), Night at the Museum 4K, The Invisible Man 4K and Hannibal complete series (HD) bundle via their current 20%-off GC offer (that basically knocked them all down to $4/title-or-season, except the Avengers bundle being $5/title).

IF we're talking BF week, then add the Bugs Bunny 40th Anniversary BD boxset for $40 from Amazon plus Ugetsu (Criterion) BD, Cold War (Criterion) BD and A Brighter Summer Day (Criterion) BD for ~$32+tax total from Target (using their B2G1 + $15 bonus rewards I earned the week before while using their previous B2G1) plus The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 4K boxset (minus the digital copies, which I already owned) off eBay for $35 shipped. I also bought a $100 Apple GC from the current Target GC deal (earning $15 Target GC) to use on iTunes and bought a few digitals at $4-5 each so far: Ready or Not (4K), Hot Shots (HD) and Dear White People (HD). Also finally (re)ordered an iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB for my mother (after returning the plain iPhone 13 she didn't like) using 8 discounted Apple GCs to cover ~90% of the cost (5x$100 of which bought from the recent/current Best Buy GC deal that earns $15 BB GC for each).

IF we're talking the entire BF season, well, I definitely bought more movies earlier on (from all the different etailers, including Gruv.com), especially the week-plus before...

Will probably still buy a bit more before this week's over...

_Man_

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Earlier in the week, I picked up the last two released Thin Man films on BD and a couple of films on iTunes. On actual Black Friday, I bought the Arrow release of Double Face on iTunes and picked up some JBL true wireless ear buds (my wife's Christmas gift to me) . I also bought a pullover and golf hat from USA Hockey's website.

I had bought quite a few discs earlier in October & November, so really tried to curb my purchases this week.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the UHDs of Shaun Of The Dead/Hot Fuzz/The World's End three pack, Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II. There's probably fewer things that I pick up each Black Friday but I think that's more because of what they're making now rather than a lack of sales or stuff on sale.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
First Blood
Love Actually
Tenet
John Wick 2
John Wick 3
Shawshank Redemption
Gattaca

Horizon Chase Turbo (videogame)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
From Deep Discount, I grabbed the fourth season of "Legends of Tomorrow" for $13.98 and then added Children of the Damned to get up to the free shipping. And then used promo code GOBBLE to get five dollars and change knocked off the total.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'd purchased the first three seasons of Legends at last year's BF sale, so I picked up seasons four and five this year with the DD coupon, and one of the Resident Evil films in 3D to get the free shipping. :thumbsup:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I picked up more than I'd expected - all thanks to Target's B2G1 sale in which they put several newer titles on sale and allowed the B2G1 to still be used. The bulk of my "BR" shopping this year was with Target, a smattering from Amazon & WM, nothing from BB.

BR Target B2G1 sale:
Wonder Woman 1984
Godzilla vs. Kong
Shop Around the Corner
The Curse of Frankenstein
The Thin Man Goes Home
I Dream of Jeannie - Complete Series
The Andy Griffith Show - Complete Series
Kull the Conqueror
Ant Man: 2 Movie Collection
The Eurocrypt of Christopher Lee

BR not from Target:
Dr. Who : 11th Series
Dr. Who: John Pertwee Season 2
Dr. Who: Sylvester McCoy Season 3
The Green Knight
Kingsman: 2 Movie Collection

DVD (Target B2G1):
The Bowery Boys Volume 3
Father Knows Best S3
Head of the Class S3
Night Court S4 & S5

CD (Target B2G1):
Steppenwolf: The Singles
The Doors: The Singles
Led Zeppelin: Physical Graffiti Deluxe Edition

Board Games (Target, Miniature Market, Gamenerdz):
Scythe: The Rise of Fenris
Mission: Red Planet
Zombie Kids Revolution
Newton
Lost Ruins of Arnak
Century: A New World

Bought my wife a new laptop, several Lego sets (grandkids), lots of books (grandkids), some Switch video games (grandkids again), and another half dozen or so board games each for my kid's families.

Bartman

Second Unit
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I've been buying Blu-rays from GoPeachy for $3-5 for the last couple of years, so the BF sale prices seem high but, alas, GoPeachy is no more. This is the first time in 20+ years that I hav'nt gone hunting discs on BF morning. I bought a couple of Criterions during the recent sale and were very pleased with them. Only two BF Blu-rays from Amazon. Rarewaves is having a 10% off BF sale so I bought three UK Blu-ray sets. I'm running out of storage space so I have to be picky!

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
I went to town buying westerns released on Blu-ray. I managed to find a copy of one of my favorite westerns on a Canadian site, the Blu-ray of "Hour of the Gun" from a site in Canada. They also had the Blu-ray of "The Gunfight at the OK Corral" and some other titles that Twilight use to sell. The rest of the Blu-ray's I bought from Kino. Over did it, but they were all DVD westerns I wanted to upgrade to Blu-rays.
-
Sunset in the West
Broken Arrow
Fistful of Dollars
Audie Murphy Collection [The Duel at Silver Creek/Ride a Crooked Trail/No Name on the Bullet]
Texas Across the River
Bend of the River
Young Billy Young
Breakheart Pass
The Rare Breed
Whispering Smith Western Classics)
White Buffalo
The Man Called Noon
Canadian Pacific
The Cariboo Trail
Valdez is Coming
Joe Kid
Singing Guns
The Shepherd of the Hills
Rough Night in Jericho
Trigger, Jr.
The Last Sunset
One More Tarin to Rob
Night Passage
The Plainsman
Robber's Roost
Shalako

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I took advantage of the early $10 UHD sales and got 16 or 17 titles. I lost track of exactly how many. Largely "borderline" titles and stuff that could be fun, but not that I think are necessary for the collection, or replacements of old discs with lesser transfers. The Criterion UHD of Citizen Kane was the only one over $10 and the BR of Promising Young Woman for under $5 was the only BR. I can't believe how many $10 UHDs there were, including some recent releases like The Shawshank Redemption.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Call of the Wild 4k disc from Amazon for $10

Jojo Rabbit 4k digital from Amazon for $5

3 22pks of Peets Holiday Blend k-cups from Bed Bath and Beyond for $6 after coupons

Bissell Crosswave Pet floor cleaner from Target

iPhone 13 plus accessories at Best Buy

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Willy wonka 4k
Jetsons complete set dvd
Flintstones complete series on Blu-ray

Tom petty Angel Dream cd
Rudolph the red nosed reindeer cd

A few other non media things and gifts too…

We didn’t hit kohls and target on Friday this year. However my wife did run out for a few things too.

Very different this year. More titles on 4k that I was interested in but not enough to buy them. As it was stated nothing that I would watch right away if I picked it up.

I was really hoping that LaLaLand records announcement for Friday would’ve been for one of the James Bond scores. Alas…..maybe next year for the 60th?

I have a few titles that I am interested in picking up in December and January too. I usually get gift cards at Christmas so I may order a few more movies then.

Also the big iTunes sale in December may get me to pick up some more movies there too. I’m actually behind on watching things I’ve purchased which helped curtail my spending this year too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
francischen
Recent bookmarks