What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Black Friday Deals (1 Viewer)

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Hey Rodney, I wouldn't have dared try to go to the BB in Roanoke, or the one in Lynchburg for that matter. I'm so glad none of the BF deals looked tempting.

Chris

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
I got to BB at 6:10 the line wrapped around the store and up an down all of the CD aisles. Got the few things I wanted and got out of there at 8:15. When I got to circuit city the definite buy things were gone and the lines there were outrageous, I hope the CD sale is all day I will have to find my ad.

BTW I have never seen so many Mintek DVD players they were flying out of BB a lot of people with buying their limit of 4.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Newsflash! Just was informed that the Mintek portable DVD player on sale at BB is *NOT* the DVD-1710 model with the 7" 16x9 screen after all (the one I got).
Instead, it is the cheaper DVD-5830 model with the 4x3 5.8" screen and lesser sound interpretation (I think there's no DTS, for instance). :frowning: So buyer beware!

rodney wiley

Second Unit
Chris, I really wanted to go to walmart for the 2 for 10 deal but I hate going to valley view on a regular day! Getting in to best buy was no problem It was getting out. They had the 2 for 20 dvd's in a barrel in the middle of the isle with about a hundred people devouring all the better titles. It was a total waste of time. I did notice they had tons of the fox disc.

Matt Everett

Stunt Coordinator
How's it going out there today? I thought about going shopping this morning before work, but I'm having second thoughts. Anyone find any great deals not mentioned above?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The Circuit City flier says:
all CDs
all day friday
Note that this sale includes the single-disc Stones remasters, which have stereo SACD layers. These discs are regularly $13.99, so they are part of the sale. I picked up four of these discs. :)
I got to Circuit City at 6:35 this morning, and there was already a line along the storefront. By the time the store opened at 7 a.m., the line was around the corner into the back parking lot. Of course, lines at the registers were hideous. There was one snafu at the store I went to. The Ice Age DVD, which was priced $14.99 on a cardboard stand-up display, rang up $17.99. I was told that only cashiers at the front registers could do a price change, so there was a lot of confusion. Some people stood in line at other registers for 20 minutes before finding out that they would have to pay for the DVD at the front registers. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well I passed on all of the BB and CC deals. I did the BB thing last year and learned my lesson. :D I might head to CC later for the $9.99 CD sale, but there is nothing in particular that I am looking for. My wife and I did hit the mall which was not too bad. A few over crowded stores (mostly jewelry stores) but all in all not bad.
Chris S.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City: I didn't get there really early, but I lucked up and got:
APC 350VA UPS (Free after MIR)
Portable CD player/CD carry bag (free after MIR)
6-outlet Surge Suppressor (Free after MIR)
I did not go CD shopping, maybe later in the day if I feel up to it and still need to run some errands.
Media Play: It's right next to Circuit City, so I bopped in there for the free Star Wars tin, but they'd already been given all away. Not a big deal because the tins were tiny. But they did give me a cheap plastic replica of the Harry Potter Quidditch flying ball just for stopping by the store.
CompUSA: I was lagging, but still found the 2 for $9.99 DVDs, and I got:
Ronin (2 copies for gifts)
Heartbreakers
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (2 for gag gifts)
Escape From New York
Blown Away
Kingpin (for gag gift)
4-port Cable modem/DSL router ($29.99 after MIR)
PetSmart: 4.5 extra pounds of Friskie cat food in the big oversized (22.5 pounds in the 18 pound) bag for $7.99. What a bargain! :)
Best Buy: the line was insane, so I didn't buy anything at all (almost bought a couple from the 2 for $20 bin, but it wasn't worth it with the huge wait in line). BB had sold out of the 75GB hard drive/256MB SDRAM combo ($50 after MIR), and that was the only thing I would have stodd in line for if it was in stock.
Wal-Mart: had a bunch of $5 DVDs (mostly from the old WB budget DVDs - you have to be careful and not pick up the ones that were FULL SCREEN). I picked up:
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Singles
The Gauntlet
2 Days In The Valley
Spawn 2 (Animated
Jackie Chan's First Strike
The Lawnmower Man
Ice Age ($14.88).
People were all bumming about not getting the deal on thee cheapo 27" TV for $148. I was bummed in not getting a copy of the Shania Twain DVD (6 music videos including her latest new single for $6.44).
Office Max: had very little of the free stuff to begin the day with, I bumped into a friend at CompUSA who had been to Office Max earlier and relayed this info to me. I still drove by there and confirmed that there was nothing of the free stuff. My friend told me that the Cendyne DVD-writer drive ($169 after MIR) was not even stocked beyond a handful, which all got soaked up as soon as the store opened.
Staples: I thought about going there, but their sales lasted from from 7 - 10 a.m., and I was already tied up by the time I was near Staples. But no big loss, the only thing I might have bought there was 512MB of PC133 SDRAM for $29.99 after MIR, but CompUSA has that deal going on today and Saturday.

Joey Dee

Auditioning
Hi,

I'm new here. I just got back from Blockbuster.After reading th eposts about the long lines at BB, I decided to see if they would price match. I got
Best Buy match
Scooby-Doo (gift) 14.99
Jay & Silent Bob (me)
Bug's Life (gift) 2/20.00
Target match
Beauty & The Beast (gift) 11.97
Best of all, NO LINES & NO HASSLE.

They just wanted to have a copy of the ad. I had to rip out the page and leave it.

Thanx for all the good tips

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That's good to know that Blockbuster actually is price-matching their competitors' ads. Hmm...that does sound like a good way to save some time waiting in lines.

Oh, one more thing, at Circuit City, lots of people bought the $49.95 Apex 1201-D DVD player, and they were going fast when I left the store before 8 a.m.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, at the Circuit City store I went to this morning, a number of people were buying the APEX '1200D DVD player. Some people were buying two. Also, a 12" APEX TV priced for $47 was moving like hotcakes. They were piled up in the central aisle, and I watched them disappear as I was waiting to pay.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I went to Walmart this morning primarily to get one of those $150 27" TVs for my parents but of course they were out. I also tried to get the $28 digital camera and that was out too. I was able to get 50 CD-Rs for $10, a cpu printer for $28, and a lava lamp for $10. Next door at HH Gregg I got their cheapest 27" for $175.
Yesterday the deals were even better at Meijer. I got 20% off Hitman 2 (XBox) and 50% off two pairs of pants, two pairs of boots, a gold necklass for my GF and a silver one for myself. Being a bargain hunter is cool:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Carl, Meijer is a blast from the past for me. I went to grad. school at the University of Illinois, and there is a Meijer in Champaign. It opened during my second year there, and I did most of my shopping there from that point forward. It's a very cool store. When I moved east upon graduation, I immediately missed Meijer. I still do. :frowning: They had great bargains throughout the year. As a poor grad. student, I appreciated that. :)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
You can get the FREE after MIR 100 Pack Blank CDR's from Office Max online RIGHT now...and free shipping.

ONLY the Khypermedia is available online...but hey...beter than none!

All I really wanted was the 27" Apex from CC, but they were out when I got there. I ended up just getting Joes Apartment for $5 from Wal-Mart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ouruslife
Recent bookmarks