Black Crowes- no more

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I just heard on the radio that the Black Crowes broke up.

I really feel this is a loss to rock music. They were a solid band that played good ol' fashioned, soulful boogie rock 'n' roll. They weren't the most earth-shatteringly brilliant creative force in the universe, but I was glad to have them around.

My breakdown of their albums:

Shake Your Moneymaker- one of the greatest debutes ever. Catchy hooks, lots of groove, fantastic sound.

Southern Harmony and Musical Companion- their best. How can you not groove to Remedy? Thorn in My Pride- one of my favorite ballads. Sometimes Salvation, Good Luck Blue Eyes- Chris Robinson at his best.

Amorica- this one is debated over a lot. I like it. They are stretching out here, injecting some other influences in the tunes, but still writing solid songs. Very underrated album.

Three Snakes and a Charm- this is my least favorite, and I got rid of it. Good Friday is the only song on here that I like. The rest sounds silly (Nebakanezer? WTF?), disjointed. Most importantly, the songs aren't SONGS.

By Your Side- A return to their hook-filled, swinging roots, and welcome one at that. Not as strong as the first two, but I like it. Lots of fun.

Lions- I don't know what the hell they were thinking on this one. This sounds like they forgot to mix the album. It's like there are just a bunch of pieces of songs all over the place, but no actual songs. The album sounds like one of those "behind the scenes" things that you can only get when you're a member of the fan club. Awful.

W/ Jimmy Page- Zepellin and blues tunes. Lots of fun for fans of Zep and the Crowes.

The Black Crowes are best when they have songs. I know they jam when they play live, which is cool, but their studio albums need melodies and real soul to hold my interest.

Even though their last few albums are spotty, they were still cool. No rap, no metal, just rock music.

As the Rolling Stones were one of their biggest influences, it is probably the old Jagger-Richards conflict that hit the Crowes: Chris Robinson's marriage to Kate Hudson made him a Hollywood celebrity. His brother just wanted to rock. Of course, this is just a guess. Hopefully they'll get together one day and jam again. After all, this marriage thing isn't going to last.

And let's face it, what are they gonna do now? Chris Robinson was the main personality of the band; are they gonna try and get a new singer? They're not popular enough right now for people to accept it. On Chris' side, he's a great singer and all, but the musical success of the group was because of the great sound they had. Is anyone going to care about a Chris Robinson solo album? Frankly, I'd be much more interested in hearing the Black Crowes with a new singer than that.

Ah, the perils of rock 'n' roll.

2. Frank_W

Frank_W Stunt Coordinator

Too bad. I was a big fan of them early on. I have seen

them perform from the first album till just last year.

However, I am not too suprised by this because of the

exact points you brought up.

3. Ray R

Ray R Stunt Coordinator

This is definately not good news, although I personally felt their "High as the Moon" tour in '92-'93 was them at their best. Fortunately TBC are a taper friendly band and their live shows will live on.

4. AndrewD

AndrewD Stunt Coordinator

I don't know what to make of this news. Their site says they're just on a 'hiatus.' Chris and Rich Robinson are notorious for their fighting. It's even come to physical blows more than once. I feel that after a break, they'll get back together eventually and The Black Crowes will be one again.

I sincerely hope that Hollywood and Hudson haven't been a factor in all of this. I've been a avid follower of these guys and they have always come across as being strictly about the music. It may sound cliche, but I always got the sense that these guys lived the music, not just played it for kicks or a paycheck. Again, I just think it was brotherly fighting (about what I do not know) and maybe Gorman got caught in the middle.

They played here in Atlanta a few months ago. I wasn't able to see them, so I'd hate to think I missed the last opportunity to see one of my favorite bands live.

First Dave Thomas died, now this. It's been a real crappy week all around.

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

6. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

This is sad news. The Crowes were one of the few current bands that I listen to on a regular basis. Next to AC/DC they are my favorite rock band.
    I have a hard time believing that Hollywood would have anything to do with Chris Robinson and his music.
    As far as Gorman getting in the middle, its well known that he(along with Johnny Colt) have broken up many fights between the brothers.
    Maybe they will take a break and come back stronger, hopefully with Gorman, Colt and Marc Ford. Maybe Chris Robinson can be next up to sing in Van Halen.[​IMG]
    I agree about Lions being weak. I don't know if its the production or the new guys in the band but its miles away from Southern Harmony and Amorica.
    KrisM

7. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

Since when is a "hiatus" considered breaking up. Yeah, we all know about the fighting and all but lets chill out. If my memory serves me correct, haven't they been touring for almost 3 years now. They toured with Jimmy Page and then for "By Your Side" and then out to for "Lions".

From what I heard on NY radio (Opie & Anthony), they are alreay calling Kate Hudson -> Yoko Ono.

Its funny they put out their greatest hits in July 2000 called "Greatest Hits 1990-1999: A Tribute to a Work in Progress" and break up 2 years later.

Jeff_P

8. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

If they did break up for good then grab the Soundtrack for I Am Sam.

They did a pretty wicked cover of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" on it.

It could be the last song they ever release.

As an aside...To me "Shake Your Money Maker" is one of the ten best albums of the last 30 years.

9. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Too bad...I'm sure they're association with Jimmy Page "did them in"...what did they need HIM for, anyway ? And playing Zeppelin songs ? I never understood that. Who wants to play Zeppelin at gunpoint, apparently, while Black Crowes had a great thing going, artistically, unless they were THAT desparate for shot in the arm to their career.

To me, Page peaked with the Yardbirds...and before that as a session musician, in the recording studios of Swinging Sixties London...NOT Led Zeppelin, like most like to think. His Led Zeppelin career, while it catapulted Page onto the turntables of millions of Americans, was an overlooked indication, of where his interests lay...the outright,ahem,

"interpreting" of Urban Black Blues songs and riffs, ad nauseum, until he almost killed the genre of White Blues Music. Very little that was original, was really produced by these guys.

His association with Plant, apparently, even disgusted Plant in dropping the retro-Zeppelin "keeper of the Flame" Death March Tours, in favor of his own small band. Plant gets alot of hard knocks from Zeppelin and Page fans for scuttling this Thing, but one thing is for sure...Plant knew what's good for Plant...in the long run, even if he isn't raking in bucks on those same old song tours.

To me, Page took the Black Crowes down with him.

10. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

Mike

I agree with you on Page stealing from the blues, but I wouldn't be too quick to say that Plant was innocent. Just as Page was taking credit writing the music to Whole Lotta Love, Plant was taking credit for the lyrics. And I'm sure you would agree there are ALOT of other examples. Even as much as I like Zeppelin, it still disgusts me to see Page and Plant's names listed ahead of Robert Johnson's on the credits to Travelling Riverside Blues. Talk about no respect for your roots.

On a good note, white blues music will be o.k. as long as we have people like Paul Oscher around, among others.

Regards

KrisM

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Why play with Page? Maybe because, um, it's fun? Not everything has to be so gung-ho political.

MikeAW, do you just sit around and try to dream up ways of being controversial? Do you think it makes you cool? What else are you "against," babies and charity? Come on, man, chill out. Not everyone's out to trick you and swindle you. Sometimes people just make music.

I find it funny how people criticise Zepellin for stealing blues, yet praise Cream and the Yardbirds for doing the same thing. People play each other's songs all the time in jazz, why can't we do the same in rock?

This is a thread about the Crowes, not the merits of whether or not Zepellin is an original band. I'm glad you enjoy picking fights and dragging threads off topic, but it can be a bit tiresome.

12. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

The new Black Crows:
    1. Cameron Crowe
    2. Russell Crowe
    3. Jim Crow
    4. Sheryl Crow
    What a band! [​IMG]

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

As long as Rusell sings.[​IMG]

14. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Excuse me for going off topic.

Mike Broadman...the subject of Jimmy Page is NOT off topic here.

Just because I don't suck up to the status quo, agree with what you feel, or don't bring up things that make you uncomfortable...that's your problem. I'm not looking for any validation from you or anyone else, because of my views. Deal with it!

Since you're getting "personal" here, I suggest you try making some comments on what I say...not about that I don't have a right to say, once in a while, rather than going off topic to personally attacking me ? Now THAT'S boring and not on topic!

Again..everyone...please excuse me for going off topic.

15. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

The difference between Cream and Zeppelin playing blues songs is that in most cases Cream gave song writing credit to the originals (ie. Willie Dixon-spoonful , Robert Johnson-crossroads) while in most(but not all) cases Zeppelin just took credit themselves. Why do we still have people thinking that Zeppelin wrote How Many More Times, The Lemon Song, Nobodys's Fault But Mine, In My Time Of Dying, Whole Lotta Love.....and I could go on. They deserve the credit for arranging the songs, but not the complete writing credit.
    And the difference between this and jazz is that alot of rock musicians were taking music from people that were making very little money and taking the credit and the millions of dollars that came with it. Nobody makes money stealing jazz tunes.[​IMG]
    Not that this really has anything to do with The Black Crowes.[​IMG]
    Regards
    KrisM

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Yes, Zeppelin took ripped from blues songs. Everybody knows that. Big whoop. It sounds great. To hassle them for this minor quibble is really just looking for a reason to slam them. Don't listen to them, that's fine, but there's no reason to be ridiculous.

And the idea that "very little was original" is plain wrong. Almost all of their blues stealing was on their first two albums. Let's do some math, shall we?:

Led Zeppelin released 8 albums, one of which was a double album, plus an album of "leftovers." So, their entire studio output amounts to 10 records worth of music.

Like I said, their "stealing" was mostly done on the first two albums. 2 out of 10 = 20%.

Therefore, 80% of their music was completely original.

Oh, and a band starting off their career playing covers? Hardly unheard of. Ever here of the Beatles or Bob Dylan?

Yes, Zepellin was wrong not to credit the original writers. Let us scold them: bad, bad Zepellin, you naughty boys! There, happy?

I still don't see what in God's name this has to do with the Black Crowes. Because they toured with Page? So what? Why does everything have to be so criticised and attacked? It was just some musicians getting together, playing some tunes, and entertaining people? Am I the only one who remembers when music was supposed to be fun?

Back to the topic, I think that at some point, probably after the inevitable divorce and unsuccessful solo career of Chris Robinson, they will get back together. After all, they are brothers. They may fight a lot, but they probably don't hate each other.

17. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

18. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

So is it OK to listen to Led Zeppelin if I steal the tracks off the Internet? [​IMG]
    Ryan

19. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

Ryan thats too funny.[​IMG] Kind of two wrongs make a right.
    As long as you steal them its o.k. Wait, no, you also have to have shrine to Willie Dixon. And play it on stolen gear. Maybe I've gone too far.[​IMG]
    Regards
    KrisM