What's new

Black Christmas Coming to DVD Again. (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That just appears to be a Region 2 port of the current SE. I know it says R0 in the description, but below in the details it says R2.

Aside from "Tartan Terror trailer reel" everything looks to be the same. And considering this is a Tartan release, this extra is probably just a few trailers of other horror flicks released by Tartan.

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't think the current SE was anamorphic?
This one from Tartan appears to be.

Davey M.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Are Tartan knows for always anamorphically encoding widescreen (1.66:1 upwards) titles?

Still, I'm sure if I would double-dip.

Gordy

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
Anyone think "Black Christmas" will ever get a 16x9 enhanced transfer in Region 1, NTSC land?

---As great as the Collector's Edition is, I have to wonder why Critical Mass opted for the non-anamorphic route.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The OAR for Black Christmas is 1.66:1 and Critical Mass got that right. Anamorphically encoding it would have required windowboxing, which they may not have know about at the time, or didn't want to use a la Warner Bros/MGM. It's a really good transfer of the film.

We may see an anamorphic edition some time in the future, but it may not be from Critical Mass, and it probably won't have the extras that the current Critical Mass edition has.

Non-anamorphic 1.66:1 transfers don't bother me all that much, but I understand why many people don't like them. The benefits of anamorphic 1.66:1 are obvious, but it has been difficult in trying to persuade Warner and MGM. Smaller companies like Critical Mass are not under the same scrutiny, although companies like Anchor Bay and Blue Underground have embraced anamorphic 1.66:1 transfers.

Gordy

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
http://www.itsmebilly.com/news.htm Menu pics from Tartan's UK "Black Christmas" DVD found here.

The UK DVD from Tartan is 16:9 and includes a 5.1 audio track. It also includes a 10 minute "And All Through The House" featurette.

It also features some extras from Critical Mass' Canadian disc: Commentary with Director Bob Clark, "Black Christmas Revisited" documentary, Art and Photo Galleries, TV Spots, and Trailers.

I sure wish we could get a Region 1, NTSC disc with a 16:9 transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1.

For those of you who have the UK disc from Tartan; is the aspect ratio 1.66:1 or 1.85:1?

richardWI

Second Unit
I see that there are 2 region one releaes of this movie, how different are they? and which one should I get?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
or didn't want to use a la Warner Bros/MGM.
In an interview, this is what Critical Mass said. To them, not enough people owned 16x9 sets so they decided to go non-anamorphic.

As for Tartan, they've gotten better over the years but their 5.1 "mixes" are as worse as ABUK's.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Meanwhile, fans in the L.A. area can catch a very rare theatrical screening of the movie at the Nuart Friday, Dec. 10th, at midnight. Bob Clark, John Saxon, and Olivia Hussey are scheduled to appear in person.

Personally, now that BU has done DEATHDREAM, I'd like to see them tackle this next.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
I sure do wish someone (Critical Mass or anybody) would give us Black Christmas in 16x9. It's been almost 3 years since the Collector's Edition DVD was released. What's the holdup? The UK got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks