Black Christmas (1974) - Think we'll get a 16x9 release this December?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Temple, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

With the remake scheduled to arrive in theaters this December, I'd think this would be the perfect time to finally release a 16x9 enhanced DVD of the 1974 original. Anyone know if Critical Mass still holds the Canadian/US distribution rights?

The remake sounds fun, but I can't imagine it being a four star film like the original is. Still, I'm very pleased that Lacey is going to be in it. I really wish she would have been chosen for the leading lady though.

2. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Latest on-set pictures show Andrea Martin as being in the film for at least a cameo (She played Phyl in the original).

I'd like a re-release, but since I already own both of the previous editions it'd have to be severely remastered as well as being 16/9... [​IMG]

3. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

Critical Mass is owned and operated by an old acquaintance of mine.
    They still hold all rights to Black Christmas and the film is currently in the process of being remastered for High Definition DVD.

4. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Bill, has Critical Mass made a U.S. DVD deal for the movie? I know that to a limited degree Ventura Distribution will stock copies of the Canadian disc, but it would be great if, say, Blue Underground picked it up and packaged it in a box with their DEATHDREAM and rumored CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS discs.

5. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

sold!

6. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

7. Scott Temple

Bill, Critical Mass is going to release an actual High Definition edition of Black Christmas (1974) on HD-DVD and/or Blu Ray? Do I have that right? If so, are they also going to re-release it on standard definition (regular) DVD with a 16x9 enhanced (anamorphic) transfer? I know a lot of DVDs say "Mastered (or Remastered) in High Definition" on the back and are simply downconverted for standard def. DVD. Is that the case here? I can't imagine Critical Mass jumping the gun for HD-DVD/Blu Ray when this gem hasn't had a proper release on DVD yet. The Collector's Edition DVD from 2002 is very nice, yes, but it's still a 4x3 letterbox non-anamorphic transfer and non-anamorphic transfers absolutely suck on 16x9 widescreen TVs. Plus, I can't imagine a whole lot of people buying into HD-DVD and Blu Ray at the beginning. The expense is going to be significant. I think I read that the cheapest players are going to be in the range of six hundred to eight hundred dollars and God help you if you don't already own a HDTV. That's going to set you back a few thousand dollars. I just can't see the average DVD consumer buying into it right away. Most people will probably wait a few years for the prices to drop. Anyway, I'm not saying it's a bad thing to release Black Christmas on HD-DVD. I think it's awesome. I just hope that Critical Mass doesn't neglect the standard def. DVD crowd by not releasing a 16x9 enhanced DVD in addition to releasing their HD disc on HD-DVD.

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I wouldn't worry about any studio neglecting SD yet. Especially with a remake coming, they would lose thousands of sales if it was HD only.

9. Scott Temple

It's beginning to sound a lot like Christmas. A Black Christmas, that is.

A couple of days ago I emailed Dan Duffin, webmaster of the awesome Black Christmas website itsmebilly.com. I asked him if Critical Mass has any plans of rereleasing the 1974 original Black Christmas on DVD sometime around December to coincide with the release of the remake in theaters. I also asked him about Lacey Chabert's role in the remake. Here is his reply.

So it seems 1974's Black Christmas will finally be getting that 16x9 enhanced transfer so many of us have been waiting for. December seems like such a long way off. It's cool that they're also going to be releasing it on HD DVD or Blu Ray in addition to SD DVD. I wonder if all of the extras from the 2002 Collector's Edition DVD will be carried over or if there will be any new extras? Hopefully they'll include the original 1974 cover art again. I also can't wait to see the remake in theaters (although I know it won't be as good as the excellent original) and will certainly be buying it on DVD too, probably in late Spring/Early Summer 2007.

10. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Good news if it turns out to be true.

11. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Any updates?
    I've never seen this film and wanted to wait for an annie release.

12. Scott Temple

None yet, Dave. But if it's supposed to be out sometime in December, it shouldn't be too much longer until we get an announcement. I don't think Critical Mass has a website, but I've been checking the news section at itsmebilly.com every so often. Hopefully, we'll hear something soon.

13. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Watched it on INHD this week. The print was in BAD shape, specs and dirt galore and believe it or not, "cigarette burns", reel change markers about every 10 minutes or so! Altogether a very disappointing transfer even for an old film.
    Weird thing, the initial phone call with all of the girls crowded around the phone had ALL the profanity literally "beeped out". A loud, audible BEEP covered every word. ?!?!? I thought, "Oh great, INHD is now censoring flicks!" but strangely after that scene all the profanity, (and there's alot) was intact.
    Very strange.

and PS, how are they gonna do the remake? The premise of this, (and I'm not spoiling anything here since it's obvious from the first 5 minutes) is virtually the same to the first 30 minutes of "When A Stranger Calls" which shamelessly ripped this off and I'm surprised they weren't sued.

14. Scott Temple

Dan Duffin, webmaster of itsmebilly.com, has broken the news:

[​IMG]

It doesn't look like any of the extras (or the reversible cover featuring the original 1974 art) from the 2002 Collector's Edition are being carried over, so I wouldn't sell that disc.

15. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Hooray! That's good news!

16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I guess that means that they found the audio for two scenes but no video?

EDIT: Just read the info on the back of the case and got my answer. [​IMG]

17. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Well I guess they made a new HD transfer as the one on INHD was awful. And what's with the "beeping" out of the profanity in the first phone call. Can anyone tell me if that's what that was all about?

[​IMG] d

18. Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray Stunt Coordinator

I wonder what aspect ratio it will be...
    The R2 UK disc was in 1.78:1 but looked overmatted to me.
    I hope it will be "true" anamorphic 1.66:1.

Here's a comparison I made from existing discs.

19. Scott Temple

Dan said over at itsmebilly.com that the aspect ratio of the new DVD's transfer will be 1.85:1 16x9 enhanced. He said the DP approved the 1.85:1 ratio saying that although the film was shot in 1.33:1, it was intended for 1.85:1.

Supposedly, the 1999 Image Black Christmas LaserDisc was matted to 1.85:1. I guess this will be the second time they're going with the full 1.85:1. I'm just extremely grateful that it's finally going to be 16x9 enhanced/anamorphic. I'm so tired of watching 4x3 letterbox stuff.

20. Scott Temple

Dave, INHD must have a shitty transfer because I own the 2002 Collector's Edition DVD and I used to own the 2000 25th Anniversary Edition DVD (both from Critical Mass) and neither of those are censored. The video quality is also pretty good, although the upcoming SE will trump both of those big time.