1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Black Cherry Soda

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Josh Steinberg, Nov 11, 2019.

1. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    It's an acquired tasts! :) As many have said, I've basically given up pop as I've gotten older but when I do indulge I loves me some ginger beer.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Come to Michigan. It's still called "pop" here.

I still remember having an argument about whether it should be called "pop" or "soda" with cousins visiting from New Jersey when I was growing up. :laugh:

EDIT: It looks like @John Dirk and I posted at the same time!

Jeff Flugel and Josh Steinberg like this.
  3. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    That's a Texas thing, all sodas are called Cokes down here, which is strange because Waco is the home of Dr. Pepper. If you order any kind of soda and refer to it as a "pop" though everyone in the room will instantly stop what they are doing and look at you in utter horror/shame. :)

4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I miss Dublin Dr Pepper. That was amazing.

skylark68 likes this.
  5. Scott Merryfield

It must be a Carolina thing, too. A college buddy of mine from North Carolina calls everything "Coke".

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Which makes no sense at all since "Coke" is a very specific brand of soda/pop.

Tourist: I'll have a Coke.
    Server: What kind?
    Tourist: You mean regular or diet? Regular.
    Server: No, I mean we have Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Orange, and Root Beer.
    Tourist: So you don't have Coke?
    Server: We have all kinds of cokes, I just listed them for you. What kind would you like?
    Tourist: You said you have Pepsi, not Coke.
    Server: (exasperated) Do you want a drink or not?

7. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    And an Arkansas thing. It's quite common to hear people around here say "Coke" for any type/flavor of soda. In spite of growing up in Arkansas I've always thought it sounded weird. Every time someone asks me if I want a "Coke" I usually reply "No Coke... Pepsi..." in my best Greek accent (from the SNL skit), get a sideways kind of look, and then ask "What do you have?"

8. Scott Merryfield

Don't forget to order a cheeseburger... and chips -- no fries.

Josh Steinberg and Jeff Flugel like this.
  9. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

How about asking for a soda pop? ;)

Here's a map of the vernacular:

[​IMG]

10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    It's actually far more granular. Here's a chart from popvssoda.com (you can enter what you say into the guys database):
    upload_2019-11-26_20-26-52.

11. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    A soda with ice cream in it is a float. ;)

12. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Between this and the hot dog thread, I’m never eating or drinking healthy again!

:D

BobO'Link and Jeff Flugel like this.
  13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Hot dog thread?!?

[​IMG]

14. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I know, right?

15. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Hey guys, I’ve been lurking on this thread a few days now. It’s kind of interesting seeing you try all these drinks Josh! These black cherry soda drinks must be an east coast thing? I’m from California, so I don’t know! I’ve never tried anything like that and the closet I ever heard of this was cherry Coke.

First time I ever heard the term pop was at work when a colleague called my Pepsi a pop and he was from Ohio. Same with a colleague I work with now from Michigan. I just referred to it as a generic coke or Pepsi. :)

I’ll have to look for the hot dog thread.

Josh Steinberg and Jeff Flugel like this.
  16. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    You know, I’m not sure if Black Cherry Soda is more regional in general, or if (and I don’t say this as a bad thing) the stereotypes of California being a more health conscious state maybe means some of these just aren’t as easily found or regularly promoted there?

From the bottle in the sample pack I got, some are from the east coast and some are from the middle of the country but I’m not sure that there was anything from the west coast. So you might be on to something.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  17. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    -Dang! Italian Cherry Soda
    180 calories per 12 oz serving, sweetened with sugar

4EDDD54E-0C4B-4A6E-AE92-02C396204D2C.

I was in Italy last fall and it was an unbelievable culinary experience and I had lots of local sodas but nothing that wasn’t citrus. Needless to say, I was pretty curious about this one. (Though it turns out not to be made in Italy but more Italian-inspired.)

This is gonna send me into storytelling mode. I’m sorry. I just tasted it and...

Dang! That is good!

It tastes like a maraschino cherry. They remind me of the first time I was right and my father was wrong and it could be proved on paper with facts and figures and forgive me but I was a teenager and I needed the win. All my life, my father told me not to eat those things because they had “a billion calories” which he later revised downward to “over a hundred.” One day, we get invited to tour the kitchen of an Italian restaurant we ate at a lot, and I notice the jar of maraschino cherries on the shelf; I’ve never seen a jar before and the Internet is freaking Prodigy. The jar says 5 calories per cherry. In other words, the one freaking cherry that comes as a food garnish isn’t the reason I’m not the skinniest of kids. Sweet, sweet victory.

That’s what I thought of as I first tasted the soda. It’s a bit on the heavier side, both in sweetness and carbonation, and that works. The bottle notes that a serving size is 8 oz and the bottle is 1.5 servings and that seems right. The first sips were strongly flavored of candied cherry and were uplifting, but became a bit repetitive at the end. (It’s about the same from the bottle or over ice.) The smaller recommended serving size would have been the right place to stop in hindsight. I wish they had offered it in a bottle of that size.

In terms of flavor, it’s very similar to the Foxon Park. If you want to drink the whole bottle in a single sitting, have the Foxon Park. If you want just a small serving or are sharing with someone, get Dang.

18. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    You've got this one calling my name! I absolutely love maraschino cherries. We purchase them in half gallon size jars. Between the grandkids and me that jar lasts a couple of months at best. I've been known to drink the juice (haven't done that in a while) and will frequently use it to add cherry flavor to colas or lemon-lime type sodas or mix it with vanilla ice cream to jazz it up a bit while adding a few chopped up cherries, making my poor-man's Whitehouse ice cream.

I need that one to show up at Big Lots (or a local grocery - although that's not too likely as most just carry the national brands).

19. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    -Baumeister Cherry Soda
    178 calories per 12 oz serving, sweetened with cane sugar

381AB2C7-B329-48D4-8944-88BA2AECE775.

Of all the bottles that came in the mail, my wife liked the look of this one the best - even though she doesn’t like cherries or soda, she thought the label invoked the kind of carefree idyllic summer that no one quite had but everyone still remembers. No pressure on the beverage inside, right?

Like the other plain “cherry” flavor, this soda evokes a candied maraschino flavor. And living up to its label, it delivers that cherry candy flavor from childhood, maybe even better than your memory of it. Carbonation falls somewhere in the middle, balancing the sweet but not overly syrupy texture of the drink.

This has all of the strengths of Dang and Foxon Park and none of their weaknesses. If you want cherry but not cherry with something else and not black cherry, this is the one.

Malcolm R, Mysto and Jeff Flugel like this.
  20. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Cherry soda and Planes, Trains and Automobiles...happy Thanksgiving, Josh!

Mysto and Josh Steinberg like this.