1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Black Cherry Soda

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Josh Steinberg, Nov 11, 2019.

1. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    You should be able to get that one locally. It's available here - both diet and non-diet versions. My grandkids and I love that one. I've been a fan of grapefruit soda since I first had a Fresca - waaaayyy back when it came out in 1968 and was made with cyclamates.

Josh Steinberg and Malcolm R like this.
  2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Squirt is available in cans here, regular but not diet. I used to see the diet in the liter (or whatever they are) bottles, now I don’t see those at all. I’d love to find the diet cans locally, but I’ve never found it, not once after over 25 years here. We’ve asked a store or two about a special order and they won’t do it.

BTW, I’m in the Little Rock area. Also, I don’t want to absorb the calorie count of the fully leaded sodas.

3. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I'm in Jonesboro - I've seen the diet 2-litre in some stores but can't say for sure about the cans. I drink a glass or two a week and most of that is the ICE or Izze drinks with a glass of "leaded" soda once or twice a month. Usually a Canada Dry ginger ale (they have a version with lemonade in it that's really good) or Squirt - both of which the grandkids also like so I don't drink the whole bottle.

4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Grapefruit soda - I love a good one. I like the San Pellegrino one. That and their Blood Orange are two of my favorite citrus things.

BobO'Link and Jeff Flugel like this.
  5. Message #45 of 104 Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    -Bawls Guarana Cherry High Caffeine Soda
    120 calories per 10 oz serving, sweetened with high fructose corn syrup.

49E9EA43-58BB-4A79-B4B3-A2A351D6EA55.

The high carbonation level makes the experience of this soda somewhat different from the bottle vs a glass over ice, which sorta helps but not really with its bitter, medicinal taste. It has 64mg of caffeine (about two cans of Coke’s worth) packed into a smallish 10oz size, and the thing about caffeine is, it’s extremely bitter. With this soda coming in at just 120 calories (low for a cherry soda even taking into account the size difference), it’s not nearly sweet enough to cover up the bitterness. That it’s high fructose corn syrup rather than sugar gives the artificial cherry flavor a harsh medicinal quality. From the bottle, it hits in waves, first the cherry, then the medicinal syrupy flavor, and then the bitterness, with the bubbles adding a bite that seems to fight with, rather than complement, the flavor. In a glass, these elements blend somewhat better and the bubbles are less dominating but it’s not as though the flavors taste any better together than separately. The closest comparison might be the cherry flavored liquid NyQuil. Imagine that mixed with seltzer and that’s this. The bottle was nice and gripped well while maintaining a cool temperature, the lack of artificial color was appealing, and a caffeinated fruit soda seemed a worthy change of pace, but it’s all gone horribly wrong in the execution. I was hoping I’d like this and could substitute it for a cup of coffee every now and then, but nope. Couldn’t even finish it.

Palate cleanser, mercy be thy name:
    2F1BA32D-5482-4B13-9F7F-4B3D5D54D140.

6. Message #46 of 104 Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Really enjoying this thread, Josh!

Not much variety of sodas here in Japan (they're not much for sweet drinks in general)...so I'm enjoying the vicarious taste-testing going on. Though I'm happy to take a pass on that last one (the clear caffeine-jacked one).

That Polar seltzer looks goooood. Been trying to move to seltzers and sparkling waters rather than sodas more and more. I don't drink much soda, maybe a can of Pepsi (sometimes two) a week. Once in a while I'll have a Pellegrino limonata or tangerine soda, which are the bomb. Most of the sparkling water varieties here are citrus-based, lemon or grapefruit. I can get Wilkinson's at the Lawson's convenience store chain, a pretty tasty brand. Wish I could find some black cherry anything around here...

BobO'Link and Josh Steinberg like this.
  7. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Thanks Jeff! I’m sure my blood sugar levels won’t thank me when it’s done, but I’m having a blast doing it. I feel like a kid in the candy store and half expect to wake up to discover this whole “I’m an adult and can buy and drink whatever soda I want” thing is a dream!

8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I've seen those San Pellegrino flavors at the Big Lots here. They always call my name (I'm generally a sucker for trying various fruit flavored import sodas). I've not yet purchased any due to the somewhat higher price. I need to cure that as I absolutely love lemon flavored things (lemon meringue pie being a favorite), have enjoyed blood orange flavored sodas (other brands), and, of course, grapefruit ones.

I've tried several times but just don't care for seltzer/sparkling water drinks. That they have little to no sweetener absolutely turns my pallet off with the added flavors, which are usually rather weak, almost making them bitter. It's the carbonation that does it. The first time I drank Club Soda my reaction was the same as my reaction to beer. Unlike beer, I've never had the desire to develop a "taste" for it so have avoided it ever since (beer was only because that's what the people I ran with at the time mostly drank). When it comes right down to it I'd rather have fruit flavored water flat than carbonated. I regularly squeeze a slice or two of lemon into tap water to drink with a meal but carbonate that experience and it's a major turn off.

Last week my son was at the house and picked up a package of LaCroix Peach/Pear flavored water. I tried a can. Like all other such waters I thought it was quite nasty stuff. I didn't realize it was a seltzer water so was grateful he'd made that purchase and that I'd tried it as Big Lots has it on sale with several flavors I thought sounded interesting. None of the grandkids will drink it. I don't blame them.

Josh Steinberg and Jeff Flugel like this.
  9. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Polar's Vanilla seltzer is good, too, either by itself, or mixed roughly half and half with
    • Polar's Georgia Peach seltzer
    • Cherry and Orange seltzers [not necessarily Polar's]
    • Waterloo's Grape seltzer [so far only seen at Target]

Jeff Flugel and Josh Steinberg like this.
  10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Some interesting sweeteners in these sodas. :P

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Josh is a little...distracted. ;)

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    It’s all those bubbles.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  13. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Part of me wants to fix it, but it’s almost too good to change. I think “cork syrup” would have been an improvement on last night’s drink!

Jeff Flugel, BobO'Link and Malcolm R like this.
  14. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    While I was at the fancy gourmet market earlier looking for something, I saw these and thought they’d be good additions to this tasting - so adding the following to the pile:

A0B69CB2-A3A7-4AA3-A1C4-506ACBE07C6D.

15. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    -Foxon Park Cherry Soda
    130 calories per 12 oz serving, sweetened with sugar

19922E85-7746-4809-B432-01BD7C727BDD.

What hits on the first sip (be it from the bottle or an iced glass) is that “medicinal” doesn’t have to mean “bad” if it’s a great flavored pseudo medicine being invoked! Think of the pleasant, sweet candy taste of a Luden’s cherry cough drop and you might have the idea. Or perhaps think of it as a less syrupy, more refreshing version of a Fanta soda. Carbonation is on the lighter side of medium but just right for the flavor. It’s not a black cherry flavor and shouldn’t be held to that criteria, but judged on its own merits as a sweet, classic cherry candy flavor, it’s a very pleasant drink. It doesn’t linger long in the mouth or memory after drinking but it’s enjoyable while it’s happening.

Malcolm R, skylark68 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  16. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    (I think I’m gonna go through all the non-black cherry flavors first and then do the black cherry ones afterwards, but within those parameters there’s no rhyme or reason to the order.)

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  17. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    Throw one of these in the mix and you'll have chocolate covered cherries!
    [​IMG]
    BTW Where I come from it's POP. A Soda has ice cream in it.:rolleyes:

Josh Steinberg and Jeff Flugel like this.
  18. Message #58 of 104 Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    "You know what we ought to do? Go down town and get a bottle of pop."

[​IMG]

Soda. Pop. Soda pop. It was all the same, growing up in SW Washington State. Just don't call all soda a Coke. ;)

ponset, Rodney and Josh Steinberg like this.
  19. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    As a bucket list thing, I’d like to visit a place where I can unironically order a pop.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  20. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    My wife and I go back and forth about this all the time. She says "soda" and I [since I was born and raised in Michigan] say no, "pop." Definitely a Michigan thing