What's new

Black Cherry Soda (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have no idea what to have first. I’ve tried the Boylan’s before but the rest are new to me.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Cock 'n Bull Cherry Ginger Beer jumped out at me...

As good of a place as any to start!

E0F5F6BB-34D7-44DA-AE81-52CE0F9D0C29.jpeg

-Cock ‘N Bull Cherry Ginger Beer
160 calories per 12 oz serving, sweetened with cane sugar.

Drinking out of the bottle presents more of the cherry upfront, while drinking out of a glass with ice emphasizes more on ginger. Starts smooth and sweet, finishes with a sharp ginger note that leaves a spicy aftertaste. Best for slow sips. Would probably pair well as a mixer for vodka. Very intense. Would probably stand up to any accompaniment whether a strong flavored food or tastebud numbing smoking. Carbonation is surprisingly light and pleasant; for such an intense flavor, you’d figure there’d be bubbles to match.

If you like ginger beer, you’ll probably like this. If you can’t stand ginger beer, this won’t change your mind. The cherry component comes on first and leaves quick.

I like the concept of ginger and cherry but I think a softer flavored ginger ale would have been a better pairing for the cherry flavor.

As I’m not a ginger beer aficionado I can’t speak to how it ranks as a ginger beer. But if you’re craving cherry flavor specifically, this probably won’t do the trick.

Interesting flavor, but not something I’d seek out. Or, put less charitably, I couldn’t finish the bottle.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wow, I had to gulp down half a Stewart’s root beer before that ginger beer taste went away. Wowza. I bet it’s the perfect thing for someone but as the bard said, it ain’t me babe.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I had a friend a year or so ago who drank a ginger beer--thinking it would be like a root beer or ginger ale--and honestly thought he was going to have to go to the emergency room afterward.

That is the absolute truth!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I had a friend a year or so ago who drank a ginger beer--thinking it would be like a root beer or ginger ale--and honestly thought he was going to have to go to the emergency room afterward.

That is the absolute truth!
The first time I had one I thought the same and expected a kind of root beer/ginger ale combo. Boy was I surprised! I like hot and spicy stuff and have had ginger candy, which is much like the drink but a bit sweeter and something I do like. I was very glad I'd only purchased one to try. In spite of that experience I purchase one about once a year (Big Lots usually has some in stock - I forget the brand but it's one of the "better" ones) and rarely drink it all. None of the grandkids liked it when I offered samples (like me, they all love root beer and ginger ale so thought it would be similar) and turn it down when I get my annual bottle and offer to share.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In spite of that experience I purchase one about once a year (Big Lots usually has some in stock - I forget the brand but it's one of the "better" ones) and rarely drink it all. None of the grandkids liked it when I offered samples (like me, they all love root beer and ginger ale so thought it would be similar) and turn it down when I get my annual bottle and offer to share.

That's a mighty strange tradition, Grandpa Howie!! :laugh:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's a mighty strange tradition, Grandpa Howie!! :laugh:
Yeah... I do like the underlying flavor - it's the "spiciness" of it that's the turn-off. And that only because it's a liquid (but I really like spicy V-8 and Snappy Tom so go figure).

I like lots of "unusual" type foods/drinks and keep thinking it'll grow on me. After all, the first time I had beer I spat it out and asked "Why in the world would anyone purposely drink that nasty stuff?!?" but over time grew to somewhat like the flavor (mainly on a hot day and only if the brew is ice cold - any other time I'd much rather have brandy, uzo, or dark rum).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m with you there about temperature, both about beer and soda. Ice cold all the way for me. I rarely drink beer but I love those 7oz glass bottles for when I do - easier to finish while it’s still cold.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
FWIW - the Stewart's Cherries 'n Cream and Cock 'n Bull Cherry Ginger Beer jumped out at me...

And here you go:

CDA9842E-7768-4B71-87F7-3218D41546A4.jpeg

-Stewart’s Cherries ‘n Cream
190 calories per 12 oz bottle, sweetened with cane sugar

The flavor presents the same in bottle and glass of ice. Sweet cherry flavor intertwined with cream soda; it’s as if each dances around the other. Just as you taste one of the two flavors, the other begins to come through, but delicately. Carbonation is on the more mild side, but it’s the right call for the flavor. It’s a wonderfully light concoction that invoked feelings of pleasant nostalgia. Americana in a bottle.

It made me happy.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And here you go:

View attachment 65308

-Stewart’s Cherries ‘n Cream
190 calories per 12 oz bottle, sweetened with cage sugar

The flavor presents the same in bottle and glass of ice. Sweet cherry flavor intertwined with cream soda; it’s as if each dances around the other. Just as you taste one of the two flavors, the other begins to come through, but delicately. Carbonation is on the more mild side, but it’s the right call for the flavor. It’s a wonderfully light concoction that invoked feelings of pleasant nostalgia. Americana in a bottle.

It made me happy.
Hmmm... a bit of Ozzie and Harriett going on I see. ;)

I'm not a fan of cream soda - but I do love Red Cream Soda (another go figure thing) and have a story about that one I may share some other time. I'm a huge fan of "Whitehouse" Ice Cream (a former "local" company, Yarnell's, made this in limited supplies) - essentially vanilla ice cream with chopped up maraschino cherries blended in. That one sounded like a liquid version. Yum!

Last edited:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Cheerwine isn't exactly what you are looking for as it isn't really a black cherry soda, but it's definitely cherry flavored. One of my favorite sodas of all time. I second the Boylan's though, that's some great stuff. Additionally, for a store brand, the Kroger Big K Black Cherry is actually really good. I'm enjoying your reviews.

Speaking of Ginger Ales, if you are in the Birmingham Alabama area, this stuff will set your sinuses on fire. It pours a dark brown and is the strongest Ginger Ale I've ever had.

916qxR9GyUL._SL1500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks