Black Box on my TW40H80

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Aaron Cooke, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

Maybe someone here can help me out. I have time warner cable and I used to have an HDTV box hooked up to my Toshiba TW40H80. A while ago I got rid of the HD box and replaced it with a regular box. Hooked the cable box up to the regular inputs rather than the HD inputs. Now whenever I try to watch cable, a black box appears and covers about 1/3 of the screen (lower part). It appears to be something that the TV is generating and not the cable box.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this or how I can get rid of it? The only thing I could find that might possibly be the cause is that in the TV settings, the setting for TV/Cable is on TV...but it won't let me change it to cable. I've tried different inputs and it still shows up with the black box. But I don't have any problems with my dvd player or PS2 plugged into other inputs. I'm sure it's something stupid and easy but I haven't been able to figure it out so I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.
    Aaron

2. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

What outputs does your cable box have? TW has some boxes that have s-video and audio as well as RF. Which are you using?

This actually sounds like you haven't set-up the cable box properly and it's trying to put up a menu guide on the bottom. Try the re-boot routine for your cable box and then go into set-up with the remote control also check the S-video connection and see if you have the same problem.

Lastly, take the cable directly from the wall and connect it to the tv and set the tv to cable. You should be able to get all the unscrambled channels without a cable box at all and then if you still have a box on your screen, you set is trying to decode some close caption TEXT not subtitles and nothing is being transmitted but that's the last thing I'd suspect.

John

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    try turning off the picture in picture control??

(just a guess)

Best of luck!!

Gregg

4. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

Thank you. It ended up being some sort of closed captioning box. All better now. [​IMG]