Black Bars

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Alberto_R, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Alberto_R

Alberto_R Auditioning

I'M NEW IN HOMETHEATER AND I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THE BLACK BARS I SEE WHEN I'M WATCHING SOME DVD'S, MOST OF THE CASES ON THE DVD'S SAY THE FILM IS PRESENTED 16:9 TO FIT THE 16:9 TV'S OR PROJECTORS. IM USING A SHARP VIDEO PROJECTOR THE NATIVE RESOLUTION IS 4:3 BUT IT CAN BE SET TO 16:9 AND THAT'S HOW I HAVE IT SET UP BUT I STILL SEE BLACK BARS? MY DVD PLAYER IS ALSO SET UP TO 16:9 SO THE DVD PLAYER IS NOT THE PROBLEM, IS THAT NORMAL? ONLY WHEN I BUY THE FULL SCREEN VERSION DVD'S I DON'S SEE THE BLACK BARS.
    ALSO IF I BUY A NATIVE 16:9 PROJECTOR WHEN I WATCH FULL SCREEN (4:3) WOULD I SEE BLACK BARS ON THE SIDES?
    LIKE IS SAID I'M NEW IN THE HOMETHEATER WORLD SO I NEED HELP.

THANKS[​IMG]

2. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Welcome to the forum. Click on the forum FAQ/Primer button at the top of the message board. There's a wealth of infomration there, including an explanation of aspect ratios and how to set up your equipement. Briefly, it depends on the movie, but some dvds are designed to have letter box bars, even on 16:9 widescreen displays. First check the aspect ratio of the dvds. Your 16:9 is the equivalent of 1.78:1. Many widescreen movies are in other formats, most often 2.35:1 or 1.85:1. Both of these formats will still result in some black bars. Most of us here prefer to see the movie in its original aspect ratio so we live with the black bars. It just takes a little getting used to. Oh, and please don't type in all caps. It's hard on the eyes. Thanks.

3. Alberto_R

Alberto_R Auditioning

Thanks for the information I really appreciate it.
    and sorry for typing all in caps.