What's new

Black bars (1 Viewer)

Jeff_PxR

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, I'll check my DVD player. Vince the reason I posted here is you said the question belongs here.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
John,

Alot of 1.85 movies are actually transferred at 1.77 to avoid black bars on widescreen monitors, but if they are slavishly transferred at 1.85:1, then you may get some black bars (ever so slight) on a widescreen display--all depending on your TV of course. But It sounds like he's having an altogethr different problem.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I'm willing to bet that Jeff has the original non-anamorphic version of The Princess Bride and therefore he needs to zoom.

Jeff_PxR

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys--this is why this is such a valuable forum. I did not even think that was what was causing it--the DVD setting was to 4:3 letterbox. I knew it was not regular 4:3 but did not think about 4:3 letterbox. Thanks again!!!!:D

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Actually, if the TV's overscan is set at a minimal level, very thin black bars may still show up while playing a 1.85:1 aspect ratio disc on a 16x9 display.
Actually, no. If you don't get thin black bars your TV overscans and you're losing part of the picture on the sides, as with most TVs.
Get a Malata player with which you can zoom out and see the whole movie.
90% of people in the world are not seeing the whole image even with their WS dvds and TVs.
Sure it might only be a centimeter on each side, but I'm very anal about that. :D
All DVDs are misframed too, haven't seen one that was perfect, before I watch each movie I not only zoom in/out but also pan the image left right up down till it's perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks