What's new

Black bars with Star Wars on a 16x9 TV... (1 Viewer)

Bruce_S

Second Unit
I just got done watching the new Star Wars:TPM DVD on a 16X9 HDTV ready TV. The pod race scene was incredible. I noticed the black bars still exists during the playback. Am I doing something wrong? I doubled checked the setup for the tv and dvd and they were both set on the 16x9 format.
please help,
bruce

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The Star Wars movies are all 2.35x1 widescreen.
2.35x1 widescreen movies will appear with black bars on your 16x9 (1.77x1) television set.
- Steve

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
A 16x9 TV has a 1.78:1 aspect ratio. Star Wars has a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Anamorphic or not, you will still see black bars on your TV.
A non-anamorphic disk will have much less vertical resolution than a disk that is anamorphic. Try some of your non 16x9 anamorphic DVD's for comparison.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yes, as Steve said, it's normal for you to still have black area, albeit a little thinner.
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Your HDTV screen's aspect ratio is 1.78:1, Episode One is 2.35:1
Episode One was filmed at a WIDER screen aspect ratio than your HDTV.
You would lose some important information on the screen if it wasn't letterboxed.
------------------
Visit my DVD review site, 24 fps DVD Reviews @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/DVD/
and
The Colorized Cartoon Database @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Dont worry, all is right with the world!
You will still get the black bars on a widescreen tv on many movies that are shot "Anamorphically" and anything wider than 1.85 will have black bars at the top and bottom.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Just to verbalize the undercurrent, 16x9 aspect ratio for televisions is really a compromise; bigger than 1.66:1, smaller than 2.35:1.

Bruce_S

Second Unit
Thanks for your help.. I'll pass the news around to better educate the 16x9 owner...
bruce

Cris K

Agent
Here's a question for you lucky 16x9 havin' folks:
On my 4x3 setup- the subtitles usually appear in the black letterbox created by the player.
What happens when you have a 16x9 set and can blow up the picture to fill the entire screen. Do you lose the subs, or does the player compensate?
-ck

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Another thing to remember is that the purpose of a widescreen tv is for a larger widescreen picture and with greater resolution. It is not to get rid of the black bars.
As far as subtitles go, if you use the theaterwide2 setup to watch a non-anamorphic dvd, many times the subtitles will not be seen and you'll either have to live with it or scroll the screen up a bit until they come into view.
For anamorphic dvds this does not apply as the subtitles are always in the screen viewing area.
------------------
dvdguru
-------------------

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
On my 4x3 setup- the subtitles usually appear in the black letterbox created by the player.
What happens when you have a 16x9 set and can blow up the picture to fill the entire screen. Do you lose the subs, or does the player compensate?

For an Anamorphic disc, just put your player into 16x9 mode and see for yourself. In most cases the subs will stay in relatively the same place on the screen, but there will be more picture which will overlap with the subs.
------------------

Duane M Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Duane Davis
On the Star Wars E1 disc, the subs are in the black bar area if your DVD player is set to 4:3 Letterbox and in the picture area if your DVD player is set to 16:9 Widescreen. Not sure how many other discs do this.
------------------
"Would you like to play spider with me?" ~Spider Baby

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks