Black bars appear to be a bit off on my XBR set

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Cohen, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

When watching the small amount of standard size programming on my widescreen XBR set, it appears that the black bars on the left and right are TINY bit crooked. They seem just a little bit warped to me... I have heard that crooked bars is common with XBR's but that there is an easy to way to fix the problem... What should I do? As I rarely watch any standard tv and when I do I almost always have it on wide zoom, I did notice this small problem until I popped in the Singin' In The Rain dvd which I picked up yesterday (which by the way looks AMAZING!!!)

Any help would be great!

2. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

When I said "when watching the small amount of standard size programming" I meant that I only watch standard size very rarely. Just clearing that up.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    What about your letterboxed bars? are those straight? If those have a problem too, try the tilt feature in the user menu adjustments. This could fix it. if your letterbox bars are fine and only your 4x3 side bars are off, then service menu adjustments need to be made. Do not do this unless you are confident in tweeking your tv. Since you don't watch much in 4x3 w/side bars, just try to ignore them being slightly off and enjoy the letterboxed bars being straight.

4. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Aaron,
    I emailed you a few questions on another subject, but
    Do you find the zoom mode blurry?
    Have you tried the combo of zoom and stretch? Results?
    Zoom is your choice over the other modes? Why?

5. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Yes, the letterbox bars are straight it appears... Norman, when I checked my mail I saw the message there but while deleting all of my junk mail I accidentally clicked on yours. Can you please resent it? Thanks!

As for your questions here, what do you mean by trying the combo of zoom and stretch? I like to use the wide zoom view mode on standard 4:3 broadcasts as I don't mind sacrificing just a bit off the top and bottom in order to have a picture that covers my full screen that is not as stretched as in full mode. The modes my tv has are: Normal, Full, Zoom, and Wide Zoom. I will be back at my room later tonight and will check to see if things look blurry on zoom mode. Thanks for any help!

6. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

A quick update: one of my friends had gone in and apparently thought it would be funny to adjust the vertical tilt so that it would be off by a bit... Argh, so problem solved, sounds like a neat a "mature" setting on my tv so that only people with intelligence and maturity levels higher than infantile can operate it!! Thank you for the help however. And I hope to hear from you again soon Norman, sorry about deleting the e-mail.