What's new

Black Bar Size During Upscaled 1080i Playback?? (1 Viewer)

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator
Equipment involved: Zenith DVB-318, Sony KP-57WS510
Connected: via DVI interconnect

Quick question, I noticed that the black bar going across the top of the screen is larger than the one at the bottom (Top: approx- 2" Bot: approx 1 - 1 1/2"); This occurs when I upscale my DVD's to 1080i via the DVI interface. Is this normal or do I need to go into the service menu to adjust the horizontal/vertical positioning for the DVI input ? If so does anyone know what the service menu abbreviation is to simplify my searching.. Also, one other quick question someone might be able to answer; is there a way to adjust the screen voltage in the service menu or is this something that needs done internally? Thanks for any help!
Ciao,
Steve

John S

Senior HTF Member
Do the bars return to normal using the component video connections?

and/or

Do you feed other sources to the set via 1080i DVI and all is normal?

What happens on 1.78:1 material with your current connection? Do you suspect a lot of cropping going on with 1.78:1 stuff?

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator
I have not investigated the component route as of yet. I did do a comparison for picture quality a couple of days ago to see which yielded better results and decided to stick with DVI because I really didn't see any significant PQ changes by switching to component and decided to stick with a true digital signal. I will however do so and post the results when I get home.
But!, I would really like o stick with DVI, so even if switching to component solves the problem what would be my course of action to solve the DVI input issue?
Nope, no 1.78:1 cropping issues, at least none that I've noticed, the only 1080i signal source I currently have the option to use/test is the DVB-318...

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've had all kinds of different players and game consoles and whatever put the picture a bit off center one way or another, and even have seen variations in top and bottom bar size depending on the individual dvd I was playing.

If the picture is all there, I don't care if one black bar is a few millimeters larger than the other, and certainly don't consider it by any means a problem.

I use my DVB-318 to scale non-anamorphic discs using the variable vertical zoom.

In order to make sure my zoom was accurate (it's infinitely variable, so there are no steps to use as reference) I played an anamorphic 2:35 dvd and marked the boundarys between picture and black bar with tape on the screen frame.

Since then I've had the picture shift up or down by as much as an inch when playing anamorphic 2:35 just by changing from one dvd to another in the same player, so black bar size can change just due to mastering of the disc.

I watch the movie, not the black bars, so this just isn't a huge concern for me.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I noticed the same thing too. PJ is a Sony 11HT and the old dvd player is a JVC. The Zenith would have a larger top black bar. I went into the PJ menu to shift the image up to even out the bars.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well, what I suggested was to try to figure out what was causing it.

But most here do seem to think the DVD player is "at fault".

The player is said to crop some of the image off in 1080i, so I had thought maybe it had something to do with that.

On the 1.78:1 material, there have been reports that the cropping can be a little more at 1080i on the DVI then the Component Video, I was more just wondering if you would have the same results.

I have tried, and I just can't tell if mine if cropping or not to tell the truth, so since I figure I can't tell, it must not be enough to concern me.

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator
John,
I checked to see if there was any change switching to component and the bars were a tad bit closer to being the same size; down to maybe a 1/2" . I'm still awaiting the arrival of my DVE calibration disk to get down and dirty and see how much cropping is really going on. I guess you can get it down around 5% in the service menu by adjusting HPOS & VPOS, I'm just going to hold off until the disk gets here...Like Steve Schaffer said, I really don't watch the bars, it's just something I know is there and bugs the crap out of me when I think about it..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks