What's new

black and white s-video? (1 Viewer)

Peter f

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Guys..

i have a friend who only gets a balck and white picture from DVD player when he uses his S-Vid connection. any idea's? picture is fine when RCA cables are used.

Sony DVD

Toshiba HDTV

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I had this problem. Changed cables and it was fine. Bad ends or something going into my receiver.

If that doesn't work he'll need to try the player on another tv to see if it's the player or the receiver.

He should also try a different input in the receiver to see if it could be that particular input having problems.

But start with the cables.

-Rob Lloyd

John Royster

Screenwriter
Try replacing the cable or simply removing and reinserting. Sounds like a pin might be bent. If that doesn't work then try another input on the TV - figure out if the problem follows the cable.
I'm a semi-newbie but I'll try my best to explain - S-video has four conductors. one pair is for luminance, the other for chromanince. Luminance is the intensity of each pixel, chromanince is the color. If you somehow had a bad connection with one of the pairs you'd see a black and white picture (luminance) without the color (chromanence)
So, that is my total newbie explanation complete with an utter butchering of spelling and possibly having Y/C reversed.
:)

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
It is the S-video cable. One of the two vital leads is not making contact(probably the chroma). If the cable allows you to unscrew the protective case at the ends, you will probably find that one or more of the leads has become un-soldered. If you can get at it, just solder it back together(it is pretty tight). If not, replace the cable.

ChrisP

Agent
I also had this happen on my system if i had a rca connection attached to the same input as my s-video connection. It only allowed use of one or the other, and if you hooked up both, or even had a cable attached to the rca plug, it would only give black and white images. just another possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks