What's new

Black and Cherry Flexy rack (1 Viewer)

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Joe Hsu's PE cherry vinyl rack inspired me to build my own over Labor Day weekend. It's a 6' rack made with 3/4 MDF, a little PE cherry, and 5/8" rods. Total cost of about $60. Unfortunatly as you can see from the pic, there were some wood puddy issues. I somehow didn't sand that shelf all the way, and it's not really noticable unless a bright light like the flash is on it. All in all it looks pretty good though (minus the lack of wire management)

Another cool thing is instead of using 6' rods, I used 3' rods, and connected them in the middle. This way I can split it into two racks if I'd like.

More pictures can be found here.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Interesting look you went for there Ben...definitely no concerns about bending/cracking! Looks great!

And I must say, it's nice reading someone credit me for inspiration, seeing as how I just started with DIY. :D

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the comments! I had three things in mind when I made it:

1) Must do it before the end of the weekend.
2) Must match the speakers I'm building (and sub I've built) with black and cherry
4) Must draw attention away from threaded rods.

I think the thick front of the shelves came out well. It limits my space a bit more, but can also make things look more compact while still having lots of air space between equipment (as there is 2.25" of space behind the front). And also does quite well at pulling attention away from the rods.

My only copmlaint is wire management. There was none in the picture, but now I've got everything attached to the back left leg. I don't like running the power/vid/audio all next to each other though, so I need to find some way without it looking like a ton of wires hanging back there.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Ben,

I've seen a couple of flexy racks that have 3 inch PVC pipes used with holes or slots for cables at strategic placements that can be painted to match your black rack. Drilling the holes on the round piping, required a drill press, but was pretty easy. Many cords are black anyway and a 3 inch hole through the back of the shelving or 2 smaller ones on either side next to the legs would look good and pvc collars at different lengths would make it flexible too. Vibration was handled by carpeting or felting the inside of the hole around the pipes.

I also saw a similar design using just half the pipe into a halfmoon cut at the back of each shelf. This made threading cables very easy and still hid most of the runs.

Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks