1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

BK's Impossible Whopper. What'd you think?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Radioman970, Aug 8, 2019.

1. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I think you're being generous there, James. I've not had fries from a fast food place that good in a very long time. Let them get even the slightest bit cold and they immediately go to "F-".

Radioman970 likes this.
  2. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    That's a good question. I"m vegetarian for ethical reasons. Animal suffering for the meat industry is something most people keep far far away when they are chomping on their favorite animal parts. You can't provide this much meat to the world without a hell of a lot of suffering. My wish is that everybody go take a look and see if your regular whopper still tastes all that great over the one that doesn't have animals suffering to produce it after reading the stories, seeing the undercover videos, or even video of animal suffering that isn't hidden. I had several videos from animal rights groups on facebook just start playing before I could stop them. Haunting haunting to this day.

Anyway, that doesn't answer your question. lol I guess Vegan's like the taste of meat too and afterall since the burger is made of plants they can enjoy that flavor treat like everybody else. It's not meat but seriously it tastes damn good! they aren't left out.

I was thinking about the cheese too. if you add that it's not vegan anymore. they should come up with a vegan cheese slice for these. I'd love to try it that way even though I'm not a vegan.

3. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    You are right! I won't get large again. Mine got cold and I had some catsup to cover it up. lol that's why they cover them in salt.

Funny, when I started watching salt years back I'd gt waffle fries from Chick fa lays and asked them to leave off the salt. bad idea! they were better than bk's fries but still not great. lol I still sometimes eats shrimp and fish, we have a fresh seafood/freshwater shrimp place nearby, and I always use fresh veg oil or olive. makes so much difference! I wish they'd just give me a container of raw fries to take home!! lol

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I've been following IB with some interest this year; IB 2.0 was announced at CES this winter with subsequent reviews. It's reported to be the best fake burger. But the reviews I've read were flawed. They follow this form:
    I'm paraphrasing, but not exaggerating.

I'm an omnivore, albeit not the most nuanced taster. :) I had to try for myself. I tried an Impossible Burger (IB) earlier this Spring at a local, quality burger place (The Counter, I think) -- a good burger place, not fast food drek like Burger King. It was good! I could tell the difference between IB and actual beef, but it was close in taste and feel. I look forward to having it again.

I recommend trying it if only because it's a new and interesting (and modern) food experience. :)

Radioman970 likes this.
  5. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I've notice the fake stuff too. That and tons of clueless people saying to "just eat meats!" lol TJPC's question was a breath of fresh air in that. I'd like to read an answer from a vegan who is eating these IBs. One thing I didnt want to do is great preachy here about why I'm a veg now. But I did anyway. ooopers! there's a lot more I could write about it. I have strong feelings about ending my meat eating. To the point where I"m "we might as well eat dogs and cats". so it gets ugly. lol

Johnny Angell likes this.
  6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Reading their website and a recent article, the IB people are pretty clear about their approach: They're not going for free-range soybeans happily picked and mashed into a patty shape. They're a high-tech firm employing top researchers using the most advanced food science and engineering they can muster to create the best all-vegetable meat substitute and working to scale up manufacturing to meet global demand.

This is not a "healthy" burger. It's a burger. Made of vegetable constituents. It basically has all the calories and fat and much of the protein of a burger. If you shouldn't eat a burger for the sake of your personal diet, IB is not obviously going to be any better for you (or me).

I find it pretty fascinating and am interested in where it goes.

7. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I found it most interesting that BK's bun and dressings took a product that's not all that bad, nutritionally, and turned it into junk food. In all fairness,to that's pretty much what all the major ff burger chains do and one of the reasons I stopped patronizing them. If I go out for a burger & fries these days it's to a local, mom & pop type place where I get a quality burger without all the additives/processing at a fair price. One here even has "$5 Friday" where you can get a Hamburger Basket (burger however you want it including cheese, fries *or* onion rings, and drink) for $5. It's a larger burger, huge amount of fries/rings, and large drink. They claim they make a fair profit on it too.

But, yeah, I'm interested in this for several reasons, none of which included getting burgers at BK (or McD's, Wendy's, Sonic, DQ, etc.). I'm not a huge beef eater (mostly ground beef) and am interested if the patties can be broken up to use as a substitute for crumbled ground beef in soups, casseroles, tacos, etc. I'll be looking for the patties come September... although I expect a bit of sticker shock. At least at first.

While not exactly "healthy" I believe the fat from coconut and sunflower oils are much better for you than beef fat.

Radioman970 likes this.
  8. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Bob, I think you could cook this burger separately and put it in your dish later just before you serve it, just not cook it with ingredience. You can buy beef like cumbles in the store from Gardein, Morning Star and Beyond Meat. I'm not a big fan of any of those now but it's been a while. I could think about breaking the patty from bk up in spaghetti and it being much better than what I do now which is just some shreddled cheese. But I agree, sticker shock! but I'll treat like a luxury.

ONe thing about these plant meats is you can't refreeze. that's why I don't buy Quorn's delicious turkey roast. Those taste just like turkey and gravy as they are, make awesome mayo sandwiches or hot chedder sandwiches just like I remember but I can't tolerate eating it up in 3 days. I lose the taste for things and have to have time inbetween.

9. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
  10. Message #30 of 59 Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    As someone who tries to eat healthy food for the most part - but still really enjoys junk food once in a while - I don't see the value added of eating a burger like this. I.e., if someone is trying to watch their cholesterol/fat intake, there is no point to eating this "vegan" burger, given that it has the same/equivalent fat as a burger. Hell, I may as well eat a regular BK burger - it will almost certainly taste better (given that I really like meat), and won't be any worse for my health (ha ha) than this so-called "vegan" Impossible whopper.

The whole point of vegetarian/vegan food is that it's supposed to be better for you than food with a lot of meat/fat.

Rodney likes this.
  11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I tried one, and the burger was fine. You can definitely tell it's plant-based. But my issue was the person who made my burger was pretty skimpy with the toppings. I did order without tomatoes, but that still leaves lettuce, onions, pickles. When I unwrapped the burger, at first I thought I got the wrong order because it looked like just a plain burger on a bun with no toppings. Then I opened it up and found there were three pickle slices, two small rings of onion, and maybe half a dozen pieces of shredded lettuce, all of which was completely obscured under the bun top.

It's been a while since I've had a Whopper, but if this is how they're making them now, I won't bother with another. I used to work at BK in my youth, and the toppings definitely spilled out the sides of the bun back in the day. Not to mention those beautiful pictures you see on the menu board and in TV ads.

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    You missed the entire point of this product.

It’s not because it’s healthier it’s because there are people who want to eat a whopper but don’t eat meat. Poeple who don’t eat meat will eat this. It’s for them.

Also it’s very close in the numbers of a regular whopper except for the cholesterol.
    Cholesterol is 10 mg compared to I believe 90 for a whopper.
    That’s significant for those who want an occasional snack like this one but want less cholesterol.

This thing isn’t perfect but it’s a good option for mostly those that are vegan.

Radioman970 and DaveF like this.
  13. The Drifter

Jim
    OK, I stand corrected. I was thinking this was just as fatty, etc. as a Whopper. If it legitimately has less bad cholesterol - then that's great. I honestly have not tried this yet, so am not clear on what the ingredients actually are & what it tastes like.

Radioman970 likes this.
  14. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I’m vegan and gave this a shot. Not bad. I’ve definitely had much worse versions of this (looking at you, Wahlburgers).

I haven’t set foot in a Burger King in many years. I may return again, if only occasionally. It’s still bad for you, if only slightly less toxic than the usual, while still tasty.

I’m totally plant-based for both health and cruelty reasons, leaning more towards health if I’m to be perfectly honest. The number of things I’ve healed from being plant-based convinced me never to return to my old ways. This burger doesn’t go nearly far enough to lure me in given those thoughts, but I guess that wasn’t its purpose. So, near miss.

Radioman970 and B-ROLL like this.
  15. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    Jim, from what I have seen the fat content isn’t much different from a regular whopper, the difference is negligible.
    The on,y difference from what I see is the cholesterol and the meat not being there.

If I bought another whopper, as long as this isn’t much more costly I’d buy the Imp version over the meat Whop.

16. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    So going by that chart everything is close except the cholesterol

17. The Drifter

Jim
    OK, it sounds like I need to do a taste test - I'll buy a regular whopper & an Impossible whopper, then eat both of them back to back - so I can see how much of a difference there is - LOL.

In all seriousness, I do need to try the Impossible whopper - I may do so in the next couple of weeks. I'd like to have it at least once.

Radioman970 likes this.
  18. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    The $7 taste test for both is still on the BK app.

Radioman970 likes this.
  19. The Drifter

Jim
    No I-phone or smart-phone (i'm old skool), so am at the mercy of the store price - when/if I decide to go - LOL.

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    B8BF7982-C91D-446C-866F-D1A3B5EAC780.
    Had an Impossible Burger at Burger 21 last night. Veggie toppings, no cheese or crazy sauces. Not cooked quite as well as at The Counter - should have been hotter and crispier - but still enjoyable. I like it. It’s burgery, if not a burger. It’s an interesting and enjoyable flavor on its own merits.

benbess, Radioman970 and ChristopherG like this.