What's new

bk electronics 500w plate sub amp (1 Viewer)

SimonInd

Auditioning
I've got one in my sealed tempest and it works a treat. I would have thought that you'd get better value for money in the U.S. though? I only went with BK because I'm based in the U.K.

Cheers

Simon

Dan Baxter

Agent
It seems like a pretty good deal for a 500w amp. Does it have plenty of power for your tempest? Also, how is the build quality of the amp? Does anyone else have any recommendations on a 500w plate amp with out a fan?

Thanks

SteveHood

Agent
Dan,
I posted a similar question at the following site and got some good feedback.
http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forum...pic.php?t=8604
If you look under the classified adds (sub directory) at www.audioasylum.com you will see an add for the same amp from ArtofSound and the price is only $350 and the shipping will be less from the US.
My concern with this amp is the powersupply. I like to use weight to help determine the strength of a powersupply. From the BK Electronics web site the BSB300 weights 14.5 lbs while the BSB500 weights 15.5 lbs. It looks like they are using similar PSU's even though the BSB500 is expected to put out almost twice as much power. As a comparison the Hypex HS200 weights 16 lbs and the HS500 weights 24 lbs.

SimonInd

Auditioning
As far as build and power goes it's excellent. It's got a large toroidal transformer to power it and seems to have plenty of headroom. To be honest, I'm sure a 300W amp has enough power, I just bought the 500W one because I didn't want to have to buy another amp if it didn't have enough grunt.

Reading the feedback from Gary Griffiths it sounds like the amp's not up to much compared to the competition, although I'm using my sub for music ( with some Epos floorstanders ) and have found it integrates well, particularly once a Behringer Feedback destroyer is added to tame some of the peaks. The module I have as a 'soft-start' so there's no power thump when you turn it on and off, just the click of the relay.

Cheers

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks