Bizarre DVD Experience

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Doug Ennis, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Doug Ennis

Doug Ennis Stunt Coordinator

I purchased Risky Business (among many, many other DVD's) during DDD's coupon sale, and just received it today. I popped the DVD into my player (Widescreen side of course), and what happens? Vertigo starts playing! I flip it over to the fool screen side, and it's the second half of Vertigo! The disk is clearly marked Risky Business on both sides. Also, isn't Vertigo Universal, and Risky Business WB? Has this happened to any of you before?

2. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

How exactly is it marked "on both sides"? You obviously can't have the printing on both sides of the DVD. Are you referring to the hub?

This sounds very strange. I wonder where DDD gets there DVDs?

I received a package from them today, and the DVD of True Romance had a sticker on the back that said "Tower $26.99". Looks like they got this from Tower Records for some reason.

3. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

They don't get their stock from Tower. Tower must have returned it to Warner (or their distributor) for stock rotation. It was then re-sold to DDD. Usually labels are removed, or the disc is repackaged, before it is sent out again.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    obviously he is referring to the hub. he said that both sides of the disc played vertigo, so it has to be a flipper, and of coruse the only writing on a flipper is on the hub.

CJ

5. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    That's WEIRD!

6. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Unless you already had Vertigo, sounds like you WON! It's a significantly more expensive disc, and some just might say a better movie!

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Nothing terribly unusal about this. Obviously pressing the disc and labeling it are separate steps. A pre-labled blank for Vertigo was probably left in the machinery when they switched over to Risky Business.

Warner Bros. Advanced Media Operations (WAMO) division operates a number of replication plants that process films for a number of studios besides WB itself and companies that WB distributes as a matter of routine. In some cases a studio that needs an unusually large production run for a title will "buy time" at outside replication plants in addition to its usual vendor, which can also result in weird cross-studio labeling or packaging errors.

This sort of thing doesn't happen frequently, but it does happen and has been discussed on the forum many times.

Regards,

Joe

8. Tom B

Tom B Extra

My 301 multi-disc changer reads the encoded title (right term?) for Something About Mary Disc 2 as the same encoding for Daredevel Disc 2. The disc itself had the right content on it, but it confuses the DVD player.

It kinda messes up the titles I manually input for the menu of my player.

BTW - DD came from Wal Mart & Mary came from DDD.
    Tom[​IMG]

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

My Risky Business disc is labeled as Region 4, but it's really Region 1.

10. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Interesting. Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that stock was "rotated" like that.

11. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Obviously the retailer you buy a disc from is not a factor in this sort of thing. It has to be a manufacturing error.

Regards,

Joe

12. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Was there ever an official Vertigo disc with the movie split onto 2 sides? I thought it was dual-layer.
    You can sometimes find playable material under the printed label if the disc is single-layer- most Warner titles have the exact same thing stamped on both sides, though I found one that had their "WAMO" closing logo looped over and over for half an hour. Some Crest National discs have color bars on the unused side, and on a Diamond Entertainment disc I found a copy of side 1 of a Japanese laserdisc of "Cliffhanger" with Japanese subtitles!

13. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Ok, I've read this over and over and maybe I'm tired, but how do you play "under the printed label"?

-paul

14. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    I'm confused, too. (And think that should be "single sided" not "single layer") Most DVDs that I'm familiar with don't have printed labels, they have artwork silk-screened directly onto the disc. How does one play what's "under" that without scraping off the artwork? And how does one scrape off the artwork without wrecking the disc?

Maybe I'm just misreading something.

Regards,

Joe

15. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

You can remove it with rubbing alcohol- yes, it will take away the printing but it won't make the disc unplayable. Dual-layer discs do not have a "dummy" substrate though. (And yes, I know I'm a total geek for noticing this!) [​IMG]

16. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I once had a copy of "To Sir with Love" that had a Japanese Sci-Fi flick on what was supposed to be the WS side of the DVD.