What's new

bizarre dvd disc label on Soylent Green (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just rented Soylent Green from Netflix, and was very surprised to see printed on the disc (obviously by the manufacturer, not Netflix):

"RENTAL ONLY - NOT FOR RESALE"

Anyone ever see anything like this before? Are these "rental only" discs different in content from the regular release?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Very interesting. I'd be curious if it provided the same content as the "to buy" version?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Curious myself about the content. I'm guessing Warner does this as part of their "revenue sharing" program with major rental chains.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Netflix has a way of stamping (i.e. printing) that text on the actual disc? Did it look like the words were printed along with the original label or maybe they were added afterwards.

EDIT: I do realise you said that it was obviously done by the manufacturer, but what constitutes 'obvious'?

Keith E

Stunt Coordinator
I had rented Analyze That from Netflix and it Netflix printed on the disc not a sticker but was actually printed on the disc.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just watched it, and it appears to have the same content as the retail version.

As to how I got the idea that Warner put the tag on there, the disc label is one of those grey Warner labels where the text is actually the silver surface of the disc left uncovered by the grey. The "Rental Only" text is engraved into the disc in the same style, font and manner as the "Soylent Green" title is.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
There shouldn't be anything to worry about, I rented a copy of The Wicker Man from Netflix and it had "Rental Only..." printed directly on the disc. I now own The Wicker Man, and it was definitely the same disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks