What's new

Biwiring problem (1 Viewer)

Nick-N

Agent
I recently biwired my front floorstanding speakers to my receiver. The receiver only has two terminals per speaker, but when I twisted the 4 cable ends together in order to merge 4 cable ends into two, they would not fit in the little hole under the plastic hood. My solution was to put the ends into different sides of the holes, as I've illustrated here (the black lines repesent the metal part of the output):

f1 .pg .photos .yahoo .com/ ph/ eu...4& .dnm=5a71 .jpg (Paste into another browser window and remove the gaps)

Upon testing, I was disappointed to hear a descrease in sound quality. There seems to be a problem with midrange frequencies. Orchestral strings are half drowned out and no longer fill the room when they are supposed to get loud. Also the sound is uneven. Sometimes there will be a noticeable dip in the volume of an instrument or it will shift from one side to the other. Could this be caused by the way I've wired the cables to the receiver terminals? For example if the tips of the cable ends are touching the other cable?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
well I can't get the link to work, but I'd think your main problem has to do with some sloppy wiring. make sure nothing's touching and run positive to positive, negative to negative.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Is there a website where somebody could see what "biwiring" SHOULD look like?

I have a Denon 3803, which only has one set of posts for the mains. Can you biwire by hooking two runs of wire into a single set of banana plugs and just plugging them in?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
that's what i did with mine. i just took a run of 2 stranded speaker wire (i forget the gauge exactly, but substantial). twisted the 2 wires together at one end and put on 1 banana clip and put an individual banana clip on the other individual 2 ends. voila. made 5 more identical runs of equal length, just like this, to wire my fronts and center. works well.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Thanks Scott... thats what I did... So far it looks (sounds) like it works just fine...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks