What's new

biwiring polk speakers (1 Viewer)

I have asked on other forums if it is better to biwire my polk speakers, most of the replies said yes. How ever, when I asked polk, this is what they had to say. You can biwire your CS400i center but not your RT1000i. Even though they have two sets of binding posts you can not. True biwiring is 'splittin' the information that is sent to the tweeter and mid range driver(s), for example, on the CS400i the top set sends the imformation to the tweeter and the bottom set sends the information to the two mid range drivers. In the RT1000i, the top set of binding posts sends the information to the tweeter AND the mid range driver. And the bottom set to the sub driver, this is not true biwiring. Polk says, the best wau to connect the RT1000i's, is to leave the gold plates that connect the two sets of binding posts and just use 16 or 14 gauge speaker wire from the top set of binding posts to the receiver front, left and right terminals. Taking the gold plates off and using rca cable tends to introduce hum and/or interference to your system and in many cases diminished bass response.

Any response to what they have told me would be appreciated.

Steve

P.S.

I am using an Onkyo 898 complete with 7.1 surround, RT1000i's for fronts, CS400i for center, two sets of FX500i's for rears and a 12inch powered sub.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Hi Steve,

First thing's first. Adjust your font down, bruddah. It's to early and my eyes almost popped out of my head reading that large stuff.

I'd take their suggestion and I have a couple of thoughts here:

* I am not a firm believer in bi-wiring. I remain unconvinced that the differences between bi-wiring as opposed to using the metal plates/mono-wiring actually produce a significant enough difference as it is. If the manufacturer tells you there are technical reasons why it won't work. Take their word for it.

That being said...

* Try it anyway. See what you think. It's a simple thing to do and aside from a few bucks for wire, what have you got to lose. You might really like it.

* The great bi-wire debate seems so hotly contested, but the ONLY thing that matters is your personal preference.

FWIW, I just bi-wired my B&Ws.....No noticible difference so far, but I still need more time alone in the house doing critical listening to be sure. It looks pretty cool though.

--Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks