Biwiring conundrum

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FredHD, Jul 30, 2001.

1. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

My fiancees parent recently went out and bought an HK AVR7000 receiver. They asked me what brands of speakers I would recommend so I wrote down some including: Paradigm, PSB, Klipsch, DefTech, M&K, B&W, etc. We went to their house the other day, and they had just brought home some big ass Klipsch KLF-30 towers. Knowing I like to tinker with such things, they asked me to set up the speakers (not that they couldn't, they are both engineers). For the first time since I became involved with HT, I was faced with "bi-wireable" speakers. I realized that I didn't know how to bi-wire. I hooked up they're speakers through the high frequency inputs and left the low frequency ones empty. The speakers sounded fine so I left them that way for the time being. Her parents liked the sound too. My question is: can I bi-wire these speakers with the one source, or do I need seperate amps for the two different speakers? Is there a link of a site explaining this maybe?
    Thanks a bunch.
    ------------------
    Have good mosh-pitting!!

2. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

Someone must know...please? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Have good mosh-pitting!!

3. FrankC

FrankC Agent

JacksonWright:
    You can bi-wire the speakers by running two pairs of cable from the amp/receiver to each speaker. Just run one pair of cable from the your amp/receiver to the medium/high frequency inputs on the speaker, and another pair from the same speaker output on your amp/receiver to the speaker's low frequency inputs. Instead of two separate cables, you can also use special bi-wire cable to do this.
    I found a big improvement in sound with my PSB Stratus Silver(i)s when I bi-wired.
    You can also bi-amp, which is different than bi-wiring in that you run a separate cable from one amplifier output to each input the speaker. You need twice as many amplifier channels to do this so it's more expensive than bi-wiring. Opinions vary widely about whether bi-amping helps your sound much.
    Hope this helps,
    --f

4. FrankC

FrankC Agent

I forgot to mention: don't forget to remove the metal conductor that connects the two inputs on each speaker when you bi-wire.
    --f

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Frank.... i think i'm gonna give this a try with my Silveri's soon...
    - Chip
    ------------------

6. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

It is bi wiring that is in question, not bi amping. No one will argue bi amping will improve sound but a lot of people will argue bi wiring is questionable. What is the difference between seperating your signal at the amp with a second set of cables and seperating the signal at the speaker with a plate or wire connector? The naswer is simple-none.
    Best regards-Henry
    ------------------

7. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Henry,
    Your view is very controversial......
    But I agree 100%.
    Just my opinion of course. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -JQJ
    [Edited last by James Q Jenkins on July 31, 2001 at 06:55 AM]

8. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

9. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jackson: you can confirm this if you'd like but it comes from Klipsch's tech department. Save yourself some time and the potential in-laws some money and don't go through the trouble of biwiring...its just one of those audio urban legends that never seem to die. Reputable (now isn't that a stretch and oxymoron) cable companies sell biwire sets for the same reason drug stores sell homeopathic preparations. There's a market for gullability.
    >>>>>>>>>> -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 2:29 PM
    To: Matt Whatley - Klipsch
    Subject: RE: BI-wiring
    Matt: Unfortunately these are questions we (Klipsch) probably can't answer. Most EE's (this is not a disparaging remark) including our own don't subscribe to the concept of high end wire or the proposed theories of why, or if, bi-wire works. Much of what is claimed can't be measured with conventional techniques or at all. The presence of bi-wire inputs on the speakers is not due to the engineers. There inclusion is the result of produduct development and sales requesting them due to their presence on competitive product and the opinions of the non EE's at Klipsch and the "audiophile" community. The customers best source for info is probably the wire companies (certainly not an unbiased source). Some of them will be able to back up their claims and some will not. My opinion remains unchanged, better wire and biwiring usually make a significant difference for the better (sometimes for the worse) but I can't prove why it does.
    MK

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

so many ways to improve ones system and oh so frequently is the cure supposedly in wires...i'd worry more about being flamed if i was in aa...now there's a bastion of homeopathic souls