Biwiring Bookshelves

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I have a pair of BA VR-M50's and was thinking about biwiring them. The question I have is will there be a noticeable difference with such small speakers? Anybody with smaller bookshelves ever biwire their speakers? What was the outcome?

Thanks for all the help.

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Only you will be able to answer that question. Biwiring is fairly inexpensive, give it a go. Some notice a difference, some do not. I did when I have my Polk RT55's biwired.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Hi Nick,

I had a similar inquiry not too long ago on this and another board. The answers I got back was that, depending on the speaker, biwiring didn't do too much for the sound. I've heard though that, with some speakers, such as the Polk 55i, an improvement could be heard. I hear that much better overall improvement is achieved via biamping, but of course this option might cost quite a bit more.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Scroll to the bottom of this link where i discuss a method that you can use to determine if biwiring made any sort of positive effect.

5. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Here's my take: biwiring may or may not make sense, it may or may not make an improvement, but it definitely does not matter.

The interaction of your amps and/or processors, subs, speakers, room acoustics, source material, and so on ad nauseam can play into whether or not it helps. For every person who said it sounds better, there's someone who says it doesn't.

I don't work on my audio and visual equipment just to improve the audio and visual characteristics of my system, but also because I enjoy working on it for no other reason than working on it. Sometimes I get it dead wrong, and I don't care, so long as I can correct my error.

Biwiring is a wonderful project for several reasons: It is very unlikely to cause any harm, won't cost nearly as much as wondering if you'll hear a difference with separates, and gives you another good reason to have a cold beer (or two) with a good friend (or two) during the project for the sake of seeing what happens. I see a lot of people asking if they should biwire. My opinion is that unless you can't afford 12 gauge wire, it would be stupid not to biwire.

I will be biwiring my vr-m90s hopefully this weekend (I wanted to also biwire my vr-mc, but one of the three cables I ordered was bad, so that will have to wait), so let me know if you want my opinion after that. I know the vr-m90s are much bigger than the vr-m50s, but they may be close enough to give you some idea. I fully expect to not hear a difference, and to not care. My guess, though, is that I'll love it for no other reason than I got to do it -- it's not often I get to do anything hardware-related to my system without getting into a fiscal discussion with my wife.

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Like Dana said, I was able to notice an increase when I bi-ired my RT55's. But, I noticed an even great increase in sound quality when I bi-amped them. Although the later is more expensive it was worth it.
    Give it a try, you have very little to loose but the potential to gain better sound.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Ron,

That's funny, you and I must have both been posting at the same time, although your first post in this thread is listed at one minute before mine. I had no idea you were posting about the Polks when I was writing mine. The reason I mentioned these particular speakers is that I remember a thread on some other board a year or two ago that was Polk RT55 specific and they were all biwiring with very positive results. If I recall, they were saying everything, like sound stage, detail, musicality, etc., improved on these speakers once biwired. I remember a few commenting that the speakers sounded lifeless before the tweek, but came to life afterwards. I'm sorry, but I can't recall where I was reading this thread, but I did read it.

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    That is funny. I would not go as far as saying the RT55's were lifeless, but they did benefit extremely from removing the gold plated jumpers and replaced them with speaker wire. Even more so was the improvement with biwiring.
    I went back and forth over a months time (biwiring and standard wiring) and the difference was very positive with the biwiring.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

9. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Robb, I would love to hear how your biwiring went. Did you notice a difference in 5.1 material and 2 channel material. I am doing this mainly for better 2 channel performance, but would like to hear what, if any difference there was in dd and dts.

Nick L

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

just curious Ron, when you went back and forth did you simply just reconnect/disconnect the jumpers in the back, in effect leaving the wires in place?

11. Robb Roy

Nick L,

I have only just begun to test material on them, but my first impressions are thus:

1. It definitely sounds better, especially the highs.

2. It does not sound so much better that I'm not certain whether or not my brain is messing with me.

-Robb

12. Robb Roy

Nick,

Here is an update. I played with some 2 channel material last night, and now I'm convinced I'm nuts. With my speakers set to small (Denon 3802), I'm pretty certain I hear a difference. If I switch them to large, I'm 99.9% positive I hear a difference after bi-wiring. I will have to unbi-wire [sic] and set to large for a test, but I played material I'm used to listening to with the speakers set to large and was very impressed.

Looking at your original question of bi-wiring vr-m50s, I don't know if you'd get as much benefit as I'm hearing (assuming I'm hearing it, or "hearing things") with vr-m90s, but it can't hurt.

13. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Thanks for the input. I decided I'm going to do it. It is a simple process and I haven't messed with my system much after I bought it in June.(I have the need to tinker) So I think tonight I'm gonna buy more wire and ends and have at it. Should be a fun night(just in time for lotr).

Nick L

14. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

15. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Well I biwired my VRM50's last night. The cd I used for comparison was Dave Matthews Band - Crash. I first listened to song 3 and song 6, the first two minutes of each without biwiring. I then biwired the speakers and listened to song 3 and 6 again. The difference I heard was in the fullness of the speaker. I thought the flute at the beginning on song 6 sounded much fuller and more life like than before. Highs in general I thouht sounded better, I also thought the imaging was more precise than before. I didn't have time to go back and forth anymore than just the two songs (the better half wanted to watch tv), but from what I heard or thought I heard it was well worth the extra $10 for the connectors. All in all I'm happy I biwired them, if your considering it I suggest doing it.

Nick L