What's new

Biwire? (1 Viewer)

Paul_III

Agent
I was told by a guy working at a local HT store that it is possible to make your own biwire. He showed me this cable which looked sort of like typical CAT-5 only it contained 4 strands rather than 4 twisted pairs of cables inside. He told me that if you twisted one end to make 2 pairs out of the four strands, then on the other end you used each strand as it's own separate connector, you'd have the equivalent of a lower quality biwire. I was originally looking to buy some biwire from him, but the only biwire he had was $600 for a pair of 10 ft. biwires, which is way more than I am willing to spend. Any suggestions on how to get cheap (relatively speaking) biwire?

Thanks.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
pick up two lengths of 12 gauge, or one 12 and one 14, 16, 18, whatever floats your boat.

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
Just take 4 lengths of 12 gauge take two of the cables and twist the 4 ends together so you have now 2 ends joined together. But make sure you twist the sides that has writing on it together and the sides that don't together. These are the two end that goes to the amp. then the other 4 ends go to the biwire connections at your speaker. Make sure you remove the brass connector between the treble and bass terminals. If you want to make the cables look cleaner use small diameter split loom tubing.

You may or may not hear any differences between biwiring and not biwiring. But it is a cheap thing to experiment with so if you don't hear any improvement it didn't cost you that much, but if you are one that hears an improvement then it was an inexpensive improvement to your system.

Steve_K

Auditioning
Making your own Bi wire with some cheap cable just to
"Bi wire" will lead to disappointment. You don't have to spend tons of money eighther.

Check out "hcmaudio.com". These guys sell new obsoleted Audioquest GR8 and will sell in biwired configuration terminated properly for truly outstanding prices.
8ft pair about $95.00
List price was $308.00

By the time you buy the spades,heatshrink and properly terminate your cables, you'll find it hard to beat this stuff. I use it for my rear channels (40' runs)since the 10 gauge effective diameter is required for long runs.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
$95 * 5 = $475...this is cheap? Heck 2 runs of 12 gauge would've given you 9 gauge effective!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks