BiWire Rears?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Main, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

I will have the fronts and center biwired, but the rears. Im going to have a quite a 35ft on each side so is it worth it? If so whats a good biwired cable for this?

Thanks Mike

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

First, it's unclear by your post whether your rear speakers are surrounds for a 5.1 system or rear surrounds for a 7.1 system. I'll give my inexperienced opinion on both, although I suspect you are referring to a 5.1 system.

For HT use, I can't see value in biwiring side or rear surrounds. There's typically not enough "quality-oriented" sound going to these speakers for which you'd need to increase perceived quality. As is apparent below, I wouldn't bother considering biwiring for any purpose other than music.

For music use, there may be marginal quality benefits for specific cases. I have never listened to multichannel music, so you can take my opinions with whatever grains of salt you like, but if you're feeding music to your surround channels (5.1 or 7.1 config), you have good quality surround speakers (i.e., close to mains in quality and you perceive benefit in biwiring them) and associated equipment to drive them, and the music directed to the rears is significant in content, there is possible benefit. I have heard, though, that multichannel music (SACD, DVD-A), when engineered properly, sends more ambience-associated signals to surrounds. This would diminish value in biwiring, IMO. Also note that if you were referring to the rear surrounds in a 7.1 configuration, I believe they would not be driven at all by an SACD or DVD-A source, assuming you engaged bypass mode in your receiver/controller.

That's my .02. Haven't even talked about cable quality issues, which can be a concern with that length if you want biwiring to make a difference. If you feel the need to try, get returnable, quality cable and try it out. If you're making decision in advance because you need to run cables in wall ahead of time, I would not bother.

Doug

3. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Doug,

Its for a 5.1 setup- CDM 7NT and 1NT and also have a DVD-A source.

Mike

4. Takosan

Takosan Stunt Coordinator

I recently biwired my speakers. Fronts are 12AWG & my rears are 14AWG (I think they were around 35' runs to the rears). Mind you with my modest equipment (my ears too )I don't hear, even from my front L/R, the benefits of biwire but I went ahead (also the speakers, B&W 600 series, let me biwire).

Since I was running it in the crawl space I thought I'll just biwire the rears too so in the future if I need to add a rear-center I can just make the rears non-biwire (I don't wantto go into the crawl space again.

Takosan