BiWire hookup

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BradWI, Jul 13, 2004.

1. BradWI

BradWI Auditioning

Question on setting up bi-wire to my speakers.

The speakers I own have the capabilities for bi-wiring, and am planning on setting up my system that way (B&W 600 S3).

However, my receiver (Yamaha HTR5790) only has space to biwire two speakers (assume the front channels). Does this mean I am not able to biwire the rest of the speakers, or do I combine them at the receiver end (into one banana plug)?

Also, I am running wire through the walls so am getting the proper speaker wire for code (14 gauge). Is this fine to use for biwiring (running 2 lines to each speaker) or do I need something else?

Thanks much for your help!!

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Yes, you can combine the two sets of wires into one banana plug. Then it's just a matter of disconnecting the plate or whatever there is on the back of the speakers that connects the two pair of binding posts. Plus to plus, minus to minus.

3. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

if space is a constraint and your reciever has bananas, you can buy stacking banana adaptors @ Rat shack. You could attach one set of wires to the reciever's posts and plug the second into the banana using the Rat Shack adaptor.
    If you were really into moving things around, you could also use the Rat Shack adaptors for both pairs of wires per channel, plug the first into your reciever's posts and plug the second adaptor into the first one.

food for thought..

4. Glen C

Glen C Stunt Coordinator

sorry but the biwire w/ that equipment is a total waste of time & $$$.

5. BradWI

BradWI Auditioning

I appreciate everyone's constructive help!

6. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Brad,
    rather than fus with running two sets of wires in-wall to each speaker, you might try getting pre-bundled 4 wire cable. I got some for my surrounds @ www.partsexpress.com Pretty slick, 4 color-coded 14 ga. wires in an in-wall certified sheathing.

good luck.