What's new

Bitstream vs PCM (1 Viewer)

dusty

Agent
I am having some confusion with the settings of my audio sources. I have two DVD players, both connected digitally. In the setup of the players, there is option for Dolby Digital to be PCM or Bitstream. When I set it to Bitsream and play a DD source, the red Dolby Digital light appears on my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR501). However the bass response is very weak, if anything. When I put the player in PCM mode, I get a much higher bass response. I'm not sure if there is a problem with my receiver, or if this is expected behavior.

Another note, I couldnt get ANY bass output when using the Avia calibration disc and Bitstream mode on my DVD player. I changed it to PCM and the room was rattling.

Thanks,
Dusty

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
PCM is stereo only, you want bitstream or you are not getting discrete audio.

What are your receiver settings for your speaker sizes and bass management. Sounds like you have something set incorrectly.

JeffHunter

Stunt Coordinator
Dusty,

have you got a subwoofer yet ? .... basically when your in PCM mode your fronts are proccessing the bass (as well as your sub if you have one). If you don't have a sub set your main fronts to 'large' speaker setting and I don't know how much control you have over the direction of frequencies but if you can direct all sub fequencies to your fronts (if you have no sub) then make sure that is done.

dusty

Agent
I have a sub (JBL PB10), and I'm pretty sure the receiver is set up correctly. There are no settings for speaker 'size', but there is a setting for the crossover for the LFE. I have it at 120Hz right now (based on the manuals suggestion). My LCR speakers have the following specifications:

Sound pressure level: 81 dB/W (1.0m)
Crossover Frequency: 3.5 kHz
Frequency Range:
65 Hz - 22 kHz (-16dB)
95 Hz - 20 kHz (-10dB)

They are admittedly cheap speakers. I am still experiencing some confusion on calibrating with the AVIA disc. There are no LFE with the DVD player set to Bitstream for DD.

There is a setting on my DVD player called PCM Down Conversion. Should this be ON or OFF?

I'm not sure if its related or not, but some DD signals from my DTV receiver (Sony SAT-A65) are not being output through the receiver. It is connected via a Toslink optical cable. The DTV receiver is setup to output Dolby Digital.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Dusty, I won't go into specifics about your decibel settings, etc.

I also noticed a difference between digital LFE sound and PCM sound in the woofer. I don't think it necessarily has anything to do w/ the receiver settings. I figure it like this:

Digital is much cleaner & "drier" sounding: it's actually more accurate to the source material.

PCM is "boomier" & less musical because the receiver is taking your 2-channel PCM source material & putting the lower frequencies out to the woofer. Because the source material is not digital, it just won't sound as clean.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks