Bitstream, Digial Coax, or Tos Link??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Ooten, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Brian Ooten

Brian Ooten Extra

Ok, currently I have an Xbox serving as the dvd player for my Home Theatre. I have a stand alone JVC player, but this player doesn't have a digital out on the back. Just RCA outs and an extra component out labeled Bitstream/PCM. Anything I play from this player has been via RCA component outs, so my Denon 3802 picks it up and automatically uses Dolby Pro Logic 2, which is nice, but I want to use DTS or Dolby Digital when possible. How can I hook this up? What jumper would be needed to run the correct signal into my amp? I realize for the xbox I'll have to pick up a A/V pack and use a toslink to jump the signal over. Also, I have one DVD player that has the DTS emblem on the front, my stand Alone JVC player doesn't carry this label. Does it take DTS capable player to pass the DTS signal or does any player just pass this signal on to the receiver to flag and decode?

Thanks!

Brian

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

3. Brian Ooten

Brian Ooten Extra

Thanks for the response! My use of the word component is lacking at best, I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. Yes, I am currently using the RCA outs on the receiver as input on my Denon 3802. So basically I'm going to need to get a Digital Coax cable to pass the Bitstream from the Player to the receiver, correct? I only ask about the DTS ability because I'll be making use of both players and wanted to see which would be a better fit in my Living room. I'm calling the correct connection cable a jumper, forgive me for the sloppy label, but I'm just typing and making references to items as best I can(which isn't very good). I see the light, I've been running 2 channel audio to my Denon for the past couple days, at first I couldn't figure out why DD/DTS material wasn't recognized by the receiver, but now I see. DPL 2 sounds pretty impressive, I can't wait to hear the real digital stuff!!

Again thanks!

Brian

4. Jacques C

Jacques C Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget that the vast majority of players have DTS turned off by default. To get DTS on a compliant DVD player you will most likely have to go into the menu and turn it on.

Jacques

5. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

If you just want to test out the coax digital audio without investing in a specific digital cable, just use a yellow video cable.

6. Kristen Conklin

Kristen Conklin Auditioning

When you do get set up and ready to transfer DD/dts from your player, I do recommend a Digital Coax connection over a Tos link connection, only because it is sturdier and I believe the Digital Coax provides a jitter free more robust signal to the receiver.

Just my opinion!