1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bit the bullet and Ordered My First NAS: QNAP TS-453Be

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs' started by Russell G, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    And I'm kinda freaking out since I'm not the most techy person. Mainly bought it to use as a plex box, get my library in one place.

Any set-up tips/warnings I should be aware of? I'm expecting it to arrive next week. Watching vids and stuff on the net, it seems pretty straight forward, but you know, I spent a bunch of money and freaking out haha.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

2. Message #2 of 5 Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    Congrats Russell. I'm reaching the point where I also need to consider some sort of NAS solution. Traditional RAID solutions just seem so antiquated to me, which is one of the main reasons I've been holding off.

This unit seems to have great Amazon reviews for the most part> I suspect you'll catch on pretty quickly without too much trouble.

3. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    The RAID aspect had me on the fence for a while too, since it looked like you were losing half your storage for protection. It's why I went with a 4-bay unit. With four 6TB I should get 16tb or so of storage using RAID5, with protection for one drive failure. That should be fine for my needs. I figure if I lose a drive I can replace with a 8th and start to bump up my storage that way.

I plan to keep my back-up drives so if I lose more than one drive at once, it will be a pain in the butt haha

John Dirk likes this.
  4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    This should be appliance-like: plug in drives and turn on. Fiddle a bit with preferences to set RAID 5 or whatever you prefer. Then get all your devices connected to it.

Hopefully it goes smoothly!

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Thanks Dave! It went smoothly! I was a little stunned that it went so smoothly since I've never had a computer type thing set up so easily, I figured I was screwing something up haha. I did have it set to the wrong "volume", I was only showing 6TB of free space with RAID 5 with 4x6TB drives, but changed it to "THIN" and now I'm at 12+tb with 3.7TB (about 16tb total )set aside for "Snapshots" of protection that I can easily blank to use if need be. The other surprise is I didn't have to fiddle with PLEX settings like I recall having to do previously as well.

Not the most intuitive thing to use, I'm just not familiar enough with this stuff to know what all it is it's telling me. I'm getting it to do what I want it to do, so I figure I'll simply leave everything. Only thing I can't figure out is, I know it's designed to stay on all the time, but there doesn't seem to be way to tell if it's in stand bye/low power mode. Even when not in use you can hear the hard drives doing something periodically. Unless that's just how it is.

Now to fill the sucker up and hope that nothing fails after the warranty time haha. :)

DaveF likes this.