bit-for-bit hd copy utility?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ted Lee, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i just got my hands on a maxtor 160g (8mb buffer). since i just recently formatted my current primary drive, i really don't feel like doing it again.

what i would like to do is make an *exact* bit-for-bit copy of my current hd onto the maxtor. is there some utility/program that will allow me to do this?

i've tried using ghost in the past, but with no luck.

thanks!

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

What went wrong with Ghost? That's what I'd use to make an exact dup of the HD to another HD.

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

There are several out there, I've tried all of them (own all as well *laugh*) all have some benefits.

There was a big 3, now two.. it was:

Symantec Ghost 2003 / Ghost Corp

Acronis True Image

PowerQuest DriveImage 7

Powerquest was purchased by Symantec (makers of Ghost) so Ghost 2005 (Ghost 9.0) is, in fact, DriveImage7.5, basically, it's the same interface, same technology behind it.

All of them serve their purpose fairly well. All will do about exactly what you are trying to do. Trying to figure out where you ran into a hiccup..

4. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I've had issues with Ghost in the past and went to PowerQuest's Drive Image 2002. Very simple to use, especially with the 2 boot disks you can create to run the whole program. I've done 20+ backups and restores with nary a problem. By the way, PowerQuest has been bought out by Symantec, makers of Ghost, but I'm sure the program is still available on-line even though they killed it(gotta eat the competition). PowerQuest had a newer version, Drive Image 7, but I like 2002 better, it just seemed simpler.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

So this is more of a convenience issue trying to get USB to work with Ghost, instead of connecting the HD to a spare IDE slot and ghosting the main HD to the new HD?

7. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Again, since everything's still relatively new for me when it comes to the pc side - I was under the impression that to back up to an external hd, all that is needed is to drag and drop your c: drive to the external drive.

Do you needed additional software to ensure the integrity of large backups (or even small file copies for that matter)?

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ohh...good point patrick! no, in this case, i'm just trying to copy the current hd to the new hd. no usb connection is involved in this case.

hmm...guess i'll give ghost another try then.

thx!

-----

edit - does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to execute this? i know i'm supposed to create an image file. i'm thinking i can copy that file to my external usb drive, then use that to create the dup on the new spare hd? i don't think i need the boot floppies or anything like that?

double-edit - it looks like ghost 2003 has a "clone" option. i think i may give that a try???

----

peter - if only it were that simple. [​IMG] unfortunately, with all the hidden files, registry settings, etc -- i don't think a simple drag-n-drop would work.

9. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Ted,

Sorry I missed the essence of your question. If you're just trying to make your new Maxtor your current OS drive, Maxtor includes software(Maxblast) that'll copy your old drive onto the new one. You pick the source drive and destination drive and it does the rest. If you got an OEM drive you can download this program from their site and get instructions.

Maxblast

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx everyone.

i ended up installing the new hd as a slave, then used the "clone" option in ghost. it worked perfectly!

i guess my ghost setup doesn't mind working if i'm not trying to do it via usb. [​IMG]

wayne, thanks for the info about maxblast. my new drive did come with it, but i'm always hesitant to use those programs. but i'll definitely keep the cd handy...just in case!

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I use Acronis TrueImage - and it works perfectly with USB and firewire. I have loads of problems using Ghost over Firewire though, so I switched!

And Trueimage will image a drive even when you're still using the computer. It's nice surfing the net, chatting, etc. while TrueImage backs up my boot drive.... [​IMG]