Bison Meat Stink!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MichaelBA, Jun 19, 2006.

1. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

I bought Bison meat yesterday. Glatt kosher Bison meat burgers. Looked good. Supposed to be great.

Took it home. The two burgers were very tightly packed. Vacuum-sealed. That struck me as odd.

Then I popped open the plastic covering... [​IMG]

HOLY MOTHERFLIPPIN' F*CK did I ever get CRUSHED by a STINK that I have NEVER experienced before in anything beyond a really really REALLY BAD bowel movement!!!

It was like a dozen rotten eggs all farted at once and RIGHT up my f*cking nostrils! I tossed the meat out instantly, wrapped up the garbage bag, and threw it outside the house. I was smelling this... this... STINK for an hour afterward!

What the F*CK?!?!?!!!!

2. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

3. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Gordon may be right. We used Glatt kosher bison meat to make a stew a couple years ago for a tailgate (FSU was playing the Colorado Buffalos) and I don't recall any terrible smells.

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Have you ever smelled a bison? [​IMG]

5. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

The Meat Inspection Agency used to consider anything which kept meat pink — even nutrients such as Vitamin E — as "adulterants". Aren't we all thankful for deregulation that got rid of such antiquated ideas, allowing us to enjoy meat soaked in brine and poisoned with carbon monoxide? [​IMG]

6. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I had bison burgers once, they tasted good, almost like regular hamburgers.

I agree with the others, you got some old meat kept looking good by CO

7. MichaelBA

Holy smokes! I got scammed by BAD meat? This is REALLY disturbing! Shoot! I wish I'd saved it now to take it back. Huh. So Bison meat isn't just ASTOUNDINGLY gamey?

8. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

How is it, compared to, say, a pig farm?

9. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

"Have you ever smelled a bison?"
    yes...in living form it's just like cow, with dustier hair.

Thats scary if the meat looked 'pink' on the exterior, that smell, - it was beyond dated and had morphed to rancid. That is enough to put you off all meat for a while, - I would think.

I just had Buffalo quesadillas yesterday. (first time) Less gamey than venison, but a little more wild than beef. Fresh and uncooked...beef, venison, buffalo...it should all 'smell' within a range very close to that your used to with beef. The same as fish, some varities have more of a 'fishy' smell freshly caught...but there is no mistaking the stench of any of it ... gone bad.

10. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    It seems strange to me that anything glatt kosher would be packaged with CO, but I guess anything is possible. I'm curious where you bought it.

11. MichaelBA

Gourmet Glatt in Cedarhurst, NY. The Five Towns! The very HEART of kashrutosity! AH! What happened?! Next time I go back, I'm going to say something.

And YES am I ever put off...!

YEESH!

So, the conclusion is that the meat I got was bad and NOT that Bison meat is SUPPOSED to stink like sh*t, right?

12. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

"the conclusion is that the meat I got was bad" yes

Next time you return to the store, tell them what happened. (First, for safety of customers who might purchase and undercook) without the warning 'smell' you experinced, if it has only partialy gone 'off.'

Second, see if you still have your recepit, carry it with you and (nicely explain) how you would have returned the pkg, but feared the smell would permeate your car forever (ala Seinfeld) and be capable of driving Gourment Glatt's customers out the door if you had attempted to bring it to the customer service area.
    ...maybe they will do the right thing, and refund your purchase price...or give a store credit...towards some nice crisp Gourment Glatt veggies... [​IMG]

13. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I think I know the answer already but did you notice a 'best by' date or anything like that on the package ?

14. MichaelBA

I did not notice a date. Whoop!

But this supermarket has been one of the very best I've ever shopped in. Everything they sell is fresh. All their meat has been fantastic. But... this Bison meat was not butchered on the premises, as all their fresh meat is, but was obviously shipped to them from another company.

15. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

"Sir, your tatonka has turned."

16. MichaelBA

I know! And the meat looked so good in DWW! AH!

17. Marc S Kessler

Marc S Kessler Stunt Coordinator

Did you notice any ice crystals? I have a feeling the temperature was compromised (thawed and refrozen) during storage or shipping. Find out if there were any other complaints.

18. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Along those lines ...
    I was having a discussion with a younger cousin who is a vegetarian. I was trying to get an understanding of her decision to not eat meat. During the discussion I told her that us carnivores are just '1 defective refrigerator compressor away from a case of food poisoning'. The more I think about it, the more amazed I am that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

19. MichaelBA

No, no ice crystals. The beef pattie looked as fresh as the new morning. And it was practically vacuum-sealed. I needed a knife to pierce the plastic wrapping.

AH! It smelled like SH*T!

20. Marc S Kessler

Marc S Kessler Stunt Coordinator

Start with the retailer. If you don't get satisfaction there look at the label for the plant number (Est #....). The producer's name should be on the label as well. If not call the USDA Meat Inspection Service. I was a meat inspector in my past life and they really want (need) to know if bad product is getting out to the public. In light of recent contamination issues and food bourne illness' this is high priority.
    Fortunately it smelled bad. Had it been contaminated and was not obvious you could have gotten sick.