Biscuit Jointer recommendation

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Could any of you recommend a biscuit jointer?? I would like to pick one up for my future enclosure building endeavors. My dad has a PC one that works excellent, but I would like to find one that is a little more budget priced. I would like to keep the price below $70, but I am not sure if its possible. Thanks in advance.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I've had good results cutting biscuit slots with a 1/8 inch straight router bit. You need a router table and plunge the panels onto the bit against a fence.

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
$70 is kinda limiting. Ryobi make a detail jointer for around that. It takes smaller biscuits and I can only find them at Sears locally. I have one for making picture frames.

If you can up your limit to $100, the Freud unit at Lowes is a good value. Amazon had some Dewalt refrubs for around $120 and free shipping.

Good luck

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the input. I figured that 70 was kinda limiting, but just wanted to see if there were other options out there other than the selections that Home Depot and Lowes had.

MikeAcc

Agent
I would suggest the Freud. I have a Freud router and jigsaw, both very powerful.

I have the PC biscuit jioner. The only problem I saw with the Freud was the handle size, large and uncomfortable...at least to me. I would recommend putting your hands on one prior to purchase.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I have the DeWalt biscuit joiner and really like it. I don't use it too often, but there are instances when it does come in handy.

Brian

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the PC one since it came out and it works great. The DeWalt is also supposed to be good.

I tried the router and slot wing bit but it was very slow and not easy to do for some situations if you don't have easy access.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The Ryobi detail joiner will work for joint alignment. If you want strength you'll need to find one that will handle #20 or #10 biscuits. You might be able to find a refurbished Dewalt in the $70+ range. The Porter-Cable (557) and Lamello are a noticeable step up but cost $$$.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Industrious