bi's or di's please help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Weldy, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I am thinking of bipole or dipole for my sides and some for my rears. However first and formost the ones I will buy first are the sides surrounds. Do I want bi's or di's. I will be mounting them on the wall almost to the ceiling. Leaving just enough room for breathing at the top. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh and that said what should I use for the rear surrounds?

2. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

bipole sides and direct radiators in rear

3. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

they way i understand it now, you don't want a difussed sound field in the back anymore. this only with prologic. with the new formats like dts they now want you to pin point the sound . this is the way i understand it now. and all my speakers match i have the new nht evolutions and they are awsonme . good luck

4. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Stunt Coordinator

I "had" my rear speakers set to Di-Pole and spread about 9 feet apart. I moved them last week to 40 inches apart and changed them to "direct" (I can manually switch mine) and it has made a HUGE difference. I don't know what took me so long to set it up this way. Now I am wondering if I should move them closer than 40 inches. Anyone have any opinions?

5. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

I use Deftech BPX bipoles for surrounds and the PM700 direct radiators for rears. This has worked extremely well for me as the bipoles allow a diffuse sound without castrating all directionality that's so nice to have in DD titles. Another big benefit is that with older movies mastered in DPL I can just have the rears mimic the sides and the sound is usually quite pleasant though sometimes I just use the sides. Some DD titles I like to have a lot of directionality so I can use the rears, with minor repositioning, as surrounds.
    My biggest advice is DO get rears with bass ability. The amount of bass in the surround channels is really quite impressive on most late action movie releases.