Birth of a Nation

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Keith M., Dec 3, 2003.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Ive never seen this movie and am interested in viewing it. Which version currently available on dvd is the best bet??

Is the Kino Video version the best???

Thanks in advance....

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Kino's is probably the best for image quality... Although, the Image disc might have a better score.

http://compare.dvdbeaver.com has a comparison.

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Don't forget the E-Realbiz release. It's discontinued but stores still list it as in stock. It uses the George Eastman House print which is supposed to be one of the best available. I have it and think it's more than acceptable.

4. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    I'd say go with the Kino edition (which is David Shepard's edition, slightly cleaner). It's got some great extras, such as the wonderful documentary he made, censor cut sheets, and a handful of Griffith's Biograph Civil War epics (Which includes "House With Closed Shutters", one of my personal favorites).

5. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

BTW, What are your opinions on the movie itself? I tried to view some commentary on IMDB, but they are mostly negative PC loving viewpoints...

Im simply trying my best to begin my journey into cinema history. By viewing the AFI 100 movies, Im hoping to broaden my appreciation for movies in general. Any good books on cinema/film studies you would all recommend for a newbie?

I have recently or should I say finally come to the realization that the last few years of cinema are simply eye-candy or popcorn fests. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy the action/cgi movies of today. But they dont sustain my interest for long. I have been really getting into watching the classics of yesterday. I finally watched Outlaw of Jose Wales (sp?). I didnt even know I was a western fan![​IMG] So I watched Once Upon a Time in America...I loved em both! I am now addicted to TCM channel. I watched It Happened One Night, Look Who's Coming to Dinner, Some Like It Hot, and really enjoyed them!!!

BTW, Im 32 and am addicted to movies...[​IMG]

6. Ben Silva

Ben Silva Stunt Coordinator

There are movies being mad today which are just as good (and in some cases even better) as those made yesteryear. Not every movie that comes out these days are popcorn movies and action filcks. Thoughtful insightful dramas (Mystic River), bittersweet romances (Lost in Translation) stirring epics (Last Samurai) and screwball comedies (Intolerable Cruelty). Don't get me wrong I love old movies too. I have a wall of movies taped off of Turner Classic Movies, I just get riled up when people go on about how there aren't any good movies anymore. Maybe, you're not looking hard enough for them.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

8. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Ben Silva:
    "I just get riled up when people go on about how there aren't any good movies anymore. Maybe, you're not looking hard enough for them. "

You obviously missed my point. I never once said there aren't any good movies anymore. I was trying to say I am currently getting more satisfaction from discovering the "classics" for the first time... [​IMG]

Lew Crippen:

Thanks so much... Those threads are of great interest to me...[​IMG]

9. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I think many people get mad because it on the the top 100 list. The fact remains though, that those movies aren't the "BEST" 100, they're more like the 100 most influencial and important of cinema history. People don't often realize that.

I mentioned some of the problems I had with the movie to a friend and she was like "But it's on the best 100 movie list!" I think she missed the point of the AFI list...

10. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston
    While I find this forum to have some of the most intelligent cinephiles on the internet, I would tread carefully asking a question about how people find BoaN. I love the film myself, can watch it in context, and can get over the racial overtones (put there by Dixon, NOT by Griffith).

Unfortunately, there are people out there that just come off as extremely left-wing and have no interest in putting the film into context. What's worse, they have no interest in listening to YOU put the film into context and will textually do the equivallent to putting their hands to their head and going "LA LA LA LA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

Like I stated though, I don't think it should be too much of a problem here. There are many smart viewers around, and I think all of them know to watch the film in context, which by the way, isn't as terribly racist as most people portray (granted, the second half glorifies the KKK).

11. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I'll add my two cents.

The film is great for studying as far as technique is concerned. Horrible otherwise though.

12. WillardK

WillardK Second Unit

13. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston
    That did come out bad, didn't it?

I mean to say that in comparison to the original play, THE CLANSMAN, it's much more toned down.

14. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

15. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I actually laugh at most of the racism in the movie. It's just so over the top and cartoonish and naive and... well, so BIZARRE that I can't even be offended by most of it. Especially the sight of Lillian Gish waving to the crowd as she leads the Klan parade at the end of the film. It's just so silly.

Two things that are geniuinely frightening to me every time I watch it:

1. The first appearance of the Klan.

2. The intimidation of the black voters at the end of the film, where they try to "sneak in" and vote, only to meet a line of Klansmen with their arms crossed, and they scramble off in terror. And all the white townspeople point and laugh, as if to say, "Ha ha! Showed them. Trying to vote!" That one just kind of makes me sick.

16. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

another great thread about an early picture from DW Griffith and will try and get the Kino version

cheers

[​IMG]

17. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

As is the case with Intolerance, Griffith was constantly recutting the feature--often on the spot in the theatre--long after the premiere, so it's difficult if not impossible to say what the 1915 version exactly was.

18. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    BTW, if you're going to get BOAN from Kino...

If you use the DVDTALK or USATODAY discounts, you can get Kino's Griffith box set for only $55 at DeepDiscountDVD!

19. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    It's too bad that "3 Black Chicks Review Flicks" pulled so many of their reviews from their on-line site. Their review of BOAN was a "doozy".

20. George Gutt

George Gutt Auditioning