Birds of Prey Series Finale? 2/19/03

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

A reminder for the 4 other fans, tonight is quite possibly the last 2 hours of the Birds of Prey on the WB.

2. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Looking forward to it.

Question...has there been much advertisement on this? Though I know that the show is dead, it is a sweeps period. I can't recall seeing a single spot for tonight? (Granted, this is the only WB show that I have watched...so maybe I have simply missed them...)

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I've seen some ads over the past few days, during Smallville and Charmed.

I must admit, I'll probably watch this because of the clip of Mia Sara actually in-costume as Harley. She actually looks quite cute (and pretty much exactly like she's being portrayed in the comics now).

4. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

So, what is the thought process behind putting a dead show in the middle of sweeps month and taking up valuable time of a far better show and one that even has a sweeps-ready vehicle with a return of Dushku? I mean, huh?

Phil

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I think it's "everyone is going to be watching The Batchelorette's finale anyway, so why 'waste' new episodes of two highly serial shows when, instead, we could set them up to run uninterrupted through the end of May?"

6. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Jason's got it, I think. I'm just happy they're showing it, since I'm not following "The Bachelorette" at all. [​IMG]

7. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I really felt this show got the shaft; it has about as much potential as Smallville did when it was new and shiney, and still doing it's 'kryptonite villian of the week' thing.

If BoP had moved a bit (just a bit) away from the action format, concentrated a bit more on relationships and the psychological aspects of being a superhero, the conflicts between the girls, and all that jazz, and tried NOT to be hollywood typical, it would have been a hit.

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

9. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

I missed the first few episodes and then just didn't watch it. I wonder if it will be rerun anywhere?
    Plus WB is of extremely crappy quality on my cable.

10. Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri Second Unit

I don't know if this makes much if any difference but every commercial i've seen says it's the season finale.

Perhaps theres the possibility it will come back either next fall or January 2004 as a mid-season replacement.

I think if it was definitely canceled they would say series finale.

Only time will tell.

11. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I haven't been able to search the forums for the answer. But how is Alfred STILL alive?

12. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

This takes place about 20 years after the familiar mythology. Alfred's probably about 80.

The finale continued the usual trend of huge plot holes and not explaining things. Also, it was hardly a two hour finale so much as two episodes shown together.

It's the lack of explanations that really gets to me. For instance, Clayface as he appeared here had rather different motivations than the guy familiar to readers of the comic or viewers of the animated series. In fact, a good number of their viewers had probably never seen either, so what's the deal with this guy? What did he have against Catwoman? What did he have against Gotham's elite? How did he know all about Huntress's identity and why hadn't he told?

Other things that bugged me: Dinah's non-use of he telekintic abilities. Barbara not seeming to recognize Harley or her name. Alfred telling Wade everything. (Had he ever even met Wade?) And the continuing complaint of how they treated Harley. Joker would never have worked closely with anyone like the Harley presented here. He would have rightly seen her as a threat if she had any ambitions of her own.

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

14. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

Yeah, I think the show didn't explain many things. For instance, when Clayface escaped the prison, shouldn't the computers at the clocktower pick it up? Hmm.. how did Harley jump up to the 2nd floor? I thought she just received the hypnosis power.

I really didn't like how there was no mention at all about the relationship between Harley and the Joker. They should have mentioned why Harley was doing all this. I'm sad to see the show go, but it was just missing something.

15. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

THat's another thing. The wire work looked like flying in these eps.

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, the Clayface episode was so-so, nothing to write home about, and it bordered on entering the "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!" territory with Helena finally finding her mother's killer.

And for the final episode, finally Harley discovers all the dirt, thanks to an all-too-uncharacteristically-trusting Helena, and takes over the Clock Tower. While it was fun to watch Sara Mia shew up the scenery (quite a fun part for her, and fun to watch), the whole "rule New Gotham" is such a strange thing to want to aspire to, the psychosis seems almost an after thought just to give our heroines some Big Bad (actually alluded as such in the episode).

The whole "if you kill them, you are no better than they are" mantra was hard to take 2 episodes in a row. Nothing wrong with some punishment, though, right? [​IMG]

Dinah was the 3rd wheel in a big way as this short-lived series was always about Helena's and Barbara's relationship, and Helena's maturation process.

Was I the only one that found it strange Helena had a tongue stud?

So ends the foray of second-tiered comic book heroines on prime TV for now.

17. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

18. Michael St. Clair

I have it on the Tivo. Should I bother watching the last hour or not (I'm skipping the first)?

19. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Won't go into much, but loved last night and I really do hate to see the series go. Yes, it had it's problems, but I could forgive them. Too bad they couldn't have spent a little more time fixing things up...last night was a step in the right direction of things...

20. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

If the rest of the series had been like the second episode, I think this series would have lived. I find it odd that they call it a season finale, but technically it is, it just won't have another season.

I love the Tori Amos lead out. I wouldn't mind having this one on DVD.