What's new

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020) (1 Viewer)

YANG

Screenwriter
It's... as light hearted and entertaining as Shazaam but with strong violence(not much gore) and strong offensive profanities. Although in terms of laughs, it cannot be compared to kid-turned-superhero flick, but BoP will sure brings out lots of chuckles from ya!

I wonder is this a spoiler... At the near finale chase, the Mercedes with the plate HDR133... is that a hint of a new HDR format?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it, the script moves, it's fun while not taking itself too seriously, Harley drives the action, and enough character foils show up to provide contrast to her brand of day-to-day insanity.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I enjoyed the movie and laughed a couple of times out loud. With that said, I don't think I enjoyed it as much as you guys.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I must say Jurnee Smollet from "Eve's Bayou" (1997) is all grown up now. I forgot her brother is Jussie Smollett.

14178206_f520.jpg

BlackCanaryBoP.jpg

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
The character Cassandra Cain is who brought me back into reading comics again years ago. Happened to come across her Batgirl graphic novels one day at the library and couldn't get enough of her. She was such a bad ass! I always hoped she would get to be in a Batgirl movie or tv show. Seeing her character portrayed in the trailer really turned me off, so I'll pass on this. Hopefully, she can resemble her comic book character in another movie.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Is this being shown in 3D? I did a few searches and I can only find an early reference to 3D in England.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The movie really underperformed this weekend, earning about half of predictions domestically.

I think the R-rating had a lot to do with it. Speaking personally, I would have taken my kids to see it if it wasn't rated R, meaning four of us would have gone this weekend. As it is, none of us did. (I can't justify $80-$100 for a babysitter to see this.) I will probably end up waiting for blu-ray.

I will say again: There is no reason for an R-rated comic-book movie.

Birds of Prey’s opening box office was ... not good

https://www.polygon.com/2020/2/9/21130326/birds-of-prey-box-office-revenue-dc-films-money-list

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I will say again: There is no reason for an R-rated comic-book movie.
It's not a one size fits all kind of thing. I think characters like Deadpool or Harley Quinn exist quite nicely in an R rated world (though 30 million bucks means that this will definitely be the last time that happens) but I agree that the standard spandex superhero probably shouldn't be R rated.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It's not a one size fits all kind of thing. I think characters like Deadpool or Harley Quinn exist quite nicely in an R rated world (though 30 million bucks means that this will definitely be the last time that happens) but I agree that the standard spandex superhero probably shouldn't be R rated.

Why would Harley Quinn be a character for an R-rated film? She's from Batman: The Animated Series. My kids love her; they have toys of her. Why make a movie of a character with exposure like that and say "Sorry, kids, not for you?"

I agree it won't happen again.

Isn't Robbie playing her again in next year's The Suicide Squad by James Gunn?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Why would Harley Quinn be a character for an R-rated film? She's from Batman: The Animated Series. My kids love her; they have toys of her. Why make a movie of a character with exposure like that and say "Sorry, kids, not for you?"
Because there's also comic books where she does R rated things. Deadpool didn't start out as the violent and profane character in those movies but he became that over time. That's not to say that the Harley Quinn character must be R rated but I can understand why DC and Warners went R rated in this case.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Trying to fit every single comic book movie into a PG-13 or less rating seems foolish to me. There are some it works for (like Shazam!) and some it will never work for (like Deadpool). R-rated comic book movies will and do work. The DC Movie Universe is still carrying the stench of a lot of failures despite the success of Wonder Woman and Shazam! I wonder how many people say Harley Quinn, associated her with Suicide Squad and said pass.

I'm also going to look at it being released in February and tickets didn't go on sale until about a week or so ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks