What's new

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020) (1 Viewer)

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
By this logic, Batman should be the same as when Bob Kane wrote the character in 1939.

There have been many, many, many different versions of the Joker over the years.

You've made me realize I'm seeing both these characters through the lens of film and TV portrayals only. I don't read the comics. Has Harley been updated there?

Because film/TV removes a certain amount of subjectivity by saying explicitly, "this is the character," I expect a certain allegiance in future productions. I understand that isn't necessary for some, and maybe for few who follow and approve of the comics' trajectory, but it doesn't work for me. The Joker can have variation, as he does from Romero to Nicholson to Hamill, but he's always the Joker. While I actually love what Ledger did from a performance standpoint, it's an extreme deviation from what came before and so lost the unique qualities of his predecessors. That makes him a different character IMO.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Batman himself had various incarnations, in comics and in films.
I don’t see a problem here. Neither with Harley nor with anyone else.

I recommend to see these films as another approach to these characters. :)

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Not sure about this movie but I do like this poster with Harley and her pet hyena.

HarleyBOP.jpeg

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I want to like this movie because I was a fan of the "Birds of Prey" comic a decade ago. But the cinematic treatment, I suspect, will bear very little to the comic book roots of BOP. Oh well. I'll still see it, because, well, A-List, ya know...

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The movie has been rated R.

So, I saw a trailer for this prior to a showing of Uncut Gems, I believe, and it was certainly selling it as an R-rated film. Full of foul language which seemed like they intend the film for adults. It also seemed to portray some mental illness which I guess would be an appeal to people that liked Joker.

Personally, I think these films needed an injection of serious weirdness that leans toward any sort of person that has a super power or certainly is a super villain would be mentally deranged. Interesting to me anyway that is what they seem to be doing.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
This looks totally out there and has a very distinctive look and feel behind it. I don't know if it'll be for me, but I'm down.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m open to the possibility that it’s a crazy unconventional movie and the studio didn’t know what to do except make a boring trailer. But I think it’s more likely to be a bland film that thinks its being edgy.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My big problem is that the marketing hasn't done anything to sell us on any of the characters besides Harley Quinn. Anybody who's seen the first Suicide Squad knows that Margot Robbie's performance was one the few highlights in a dreary, underdeveloped movie.

But nothing I've seen has given me any reason to care about Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Huntress, or Jurnee Smollett-Bell's Black Canary, or Ella Jay Basco's future Batgirl. Two of those characters could been seen for free on "Arrow" via The CW. I've yet to see a compelling argument for why I should spend $15 to see them in theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks