What's new

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Title: Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

Genre: Action, Crime

Director: Cathy Yan

Cast: Margot Robbie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Jurnee Smollett, Ewan McGregor, Rosie Perez, Ella Jay Basco, Chris Messina, Ali Wong, Matthew Willig, Dana Lee, Steven Williams, Robert Catrini, François Chau, Charlene Amoia, Derek Wilson, Judy Kain, Michael Masini, David Bianchi, Rj Wayne, Ella Mika

Release: 2020-02-07

Plot: Harley Quinn, Black Canary, and Huntress team up to protect a young girl named Cassandra Cain when she comes across a diamond belonging to Black Mask, a kingpin in Gotham City's criminal underworld.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The first poster has been released:

D9To9_tVUAAmkeR.jpg:large

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I didn't see Suicide Squad, so if I see this it would be my introduction to this character.

However, nothing about that trailer makes me interested in doing so.

I'll wait for James Gunn's movie.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Don’t understand why this exists.

I think I read somewhere that Margot Robbie had the idea for it. She seems to be one of the elements from Suicide Squad that people liked, and she is a well-known star, and WB probably wants to be in business with her. So that's probably why it exists.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It fascinates me how the Suicide Squad corner of the DC cinematic universe (such as it is) is moving closer and closer to Joel Schumacher's visual aesthetic from Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The biggest problem I see with that trailer is that it doesn't present the title characters at all (other than Harley Quinn). That doesn't suggest a lot of confidence in them or that the movie will focus on anything but Quinn. Now, a movie that focused on Margot Robbie and her character would not be a bad thing, but that's not what this is presented as.

I should add that I did see Suicide Squad (only on Blu-ray, not in the theater) and Robbie was the only - and I mean only - worthwhile aspect to that film. She gave a fun performance and was lively, while everyone else was as stale and cliched as can be.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Her performance wasn’t bad but I also didn’t recognize that character as being Harley Quinn.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The Animated Series was her origination point so that’s the portrayal I go back to. I just never imagined Harley Quin as the type of person to get “lucky you” tattooed above her genitalia. She’s violent but it’s a specific type of violence that grows out of a codependent, abusive relationship. She’s someone who sees herself as being too smart to be in that situation, and therefore can’t acknowledge that that is her world.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Animated Series was her origination point so that’s the portrayal I go back to. I just never imagined Harley Quin as the type of person to get “lucky you” tattooed above her genitalia.
The original version was inherently limited by the standards and practices associated with children's programming on a broadcast network.

The thing that throws me with Margot Robbie's take on the character is the accent she uses. There are moments where she sounds just like Arleen Sorkin's voice for the character (see how she says "Mr. J" in that trailer for example), and then other moments where she sounds nothing like Arleen Sorkin's voice for the character.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I watched the trailer and I still have absolutely no idea what this film is supposed to be about or what characters are in it besides Harley.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
The original version was inherently limited by the standards and practices associated with children's programming on a broadcast network.

Nevertheless that is her original characterization. Whatever S&P limitations, and there were plenty placed on that series, that was what shaped the character. She didn't exist before then. I do agree about Robbie's voice, and that as much as anything was what put me off wanting to see Suicide Squad actually. I could deal with the costume change if she had seemed like Arleen Sorkin come to life.

IMO this is similar to the discrepancy with the Joker. Before the Ledger version he was a clown who, you know, laughed? Who joked? Who hurt people because their pain was his punchline. But a grungy psychopath who does social experiments that aren't funny passed and most seemed okay with it. So I imagine enough are okay with Robbie's version of Harley.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Nevertheless that is her original characterization. Whatever S&P limitations, and there were plenty placed on that series, that was what shaped the character. She didn't exist before then. I do agree about Robbie's voice, and that as much as anything was what put me off wanting to see Suicide Squad actually. I could deal with the costume change if she had seemed like Arleen Sorkin come to life.
By this logic, Batman should be the same as when Bob Kane wrote the character in 1939.

IMO this is similar to the discrepancy with the Joker. Before the Ledger version he was a clown who, you know, laughed? Who joked? Who hurt people because their pain was his punchline. But a grungy psychopath who does social experiments that aren't funny passed and most seemed okay with it. So I imagine enough are okay with Robbie's version of Harley.
There have been many, many, many different versions of the Joker over the years.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks