Birds of Prey 10/30/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

A strange episode that was written "too rush-ly", meaning things progressed really too fast, given the arrival of a genetically engineered baby that would grow to adulthood in a day. Helena's attachment to the boy in a day was hard to buy. The writers are working way to hard trying to convince the audience that Helena does have a heart underneath her metahuman exterior. The scenes with Reese are sort of painful to watch, I don't think they have any chemistry between them (the actors, that is).

Speaking of people growing too fast Rachel (Dinah) is looking older and older with each episode, in the pilot she looked 16, but nowadays, with a growth spurt, she looks 18-20 on the show (her real age).

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

It was a pretty lame episode. And that's pretty much all I can think of to comment on this time. [​IMG]

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

And yet, I'm looking forward to next week's episode...

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Me too, even though it was lame I'm still hooked enough to keep watching. By the way, doesn't Huntress look a alot like Mandy Moore? [​IMG]

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Did anyone see Ashley Scott on Kilborn? Didn't know she had a southern accent (she's from South Carolina).

The show was pretty lame. Good thing the guy, er Guy, died, because he knew where their lair is.

If Harley keeps snapping the necks of her hires, she might find it hard to get henchmen to sign up.

//Ken

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

While a step forward from last week, it's a baby step. I wish they'd cut the "Woe Betide me, for I am different" bullshit that's dragging it down. I do love what they've done with Harley Quinn, delightfully sadistic. If only the rest of the cast had such charisma.

This show doesn't have Millar and Gough, and boy can you tell. Still, I'm interested enough to keep watching.

7. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

How did Dinah find Guy so quickly? She found him in two minutes while Huntress had to ask for help.

How is this show doing ratings-wise? It's pretty close to being cancelled by me.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Dinah thinks like a teenager, Helena doesn't.

On the back cover of last week's Entertainment Weekly, there's a Mandy Moore "Milk: it does a body good" ad, and she looks a lot like Helena with the same hair style.

9. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

According to the Futon Critic it has been sliding in the ratings. How it does the next four weeks in sweeps will be critical.
    //Ken

10. Mike St.Louis

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

It will be cancelled, I'm almost sure of it. How do I know? Well, pretty much every show I follow from the start gets cancelled.
    /Mike

12. Thomas D

Thomas D Stunt Coordinator

I don't know. I'm probably dropping the show.

For as large as they make New Gotham to appear with the cgi shots, the actual live action shots seem to be on such small sets. The high school scenes from the previous episode didn't feel like an actual high school. After an episode of BoP is over, I feel like there really aren't many people in New Gotham -- just our heroines, our male lead, Harley, and the villain of the week. The show just doesn't feel like New Gotham is an actual place. Smallville seems to be larger than the protagonists on that show. Buffy, The Vampire Slayer's Sunnydale does, too. BoP's New Gotham feels like it's made of four small rooms and a dark alley, inhabited by six people.

I'd write a bit about the writing on the show, but "lame" and "hard to buy" comments above pretty much sum up most of what I'd write.

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I wouldn't be too hard on Helena in this instance, she's used to relying on Barbara to do the research. In this case, a teenager had the upper hand in finding Guy.

15. Mike St.Louis

Well since Batman trained himself to be a detective and never raised Helena I don't expect her to have great detective skills of her own.

I just thought it was kind of funny.

16. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Batman was not self-taught. Not sure about the BoP universe (I gave up watching), but many of the story-arcs in the Batman comics has been about his past, his training, etc.

17. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

It really can't help being 'rushy' last weeks episode was only 36 minutes long, this one was a little longer. That isn't much. I'll stick with it for the time being but yeah you do get kind of sick of the same themes being shoved down your throat, yes we get that they are meta-human (how can you be half meta-human anyway), yes we get that it makes them different. They should just drop the term.

18. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I Finally got around to last weeks ep of BOP, this was the one with the kid that grows up real fast. Did I hear the Kid use the "Granddaddy of all swear" words near the end? That's right the word "Fudge" well ok not Fudge but you know what I Mean. I rewound the Tivo a few times and it sure sounded like it to me.

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

What did the closed caption say? [​IMG]

20. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

I just figured they were doing a Father Jack and made it a Feck.