What's new

Birds of Prey 10/23/02 (1 Viewer)

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
I think the show is writing itself into a hole. We've got several lines that say no two metahumans have the same powers, then a fire-guy and an ice-guy are introduced and killed off moments later just to show the murder of two metas. Which means in later seasons if a writer wants to use an Iceman-type or Human Torch-type villain, they can't. Dozens of good story ideas gone, just because they appeared on the show for thirty seconds and killed off.
If they stick to that "no two metas have the same power", I predict in season three we'll see the Huntress battling the bottom of the barrel powered villains. People like Knob, a guy who can touch doorknobs and know how long ago the door was opened; Slightly Faster Woman, a woman that can run as fast as a woman and a half; and Pig Pen, a teenager that can't get clean no matter how much he washes up.
-Thomas
---
thesnakefarm.com

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
What was that speedster from The Tick comic? He was "fast as ten fast men!" My favorite faux super power. :D
This Meta human thing, as has been noted, is dumb especially in the Bat story. But, they chose it and now have to run with it. What is this "another generation" thing about Batman? Then say that he disappeared 7 years ago?? That the case I was born more than 4 generations ago... Sheesh. I know we are a forgetful people, but I think something as unique as a vigilante dressed like a Bat would be remembered. Sheesh again.
I think the tension the writers are finding is whether or not to write a weekly action/drama or write a comic book. Trying to do both and they get into a bind. This whole Meta thing smells too much of X-Men and has never really been anything in the DCU (not like casual fans care, of course). But if WB and DC were hoping for some crossover trade, I think people are going to be sad to find a comic with colorful characters and, like, none of the lame dialogue. Oh well. Maybe some comic book writers could get into the show biz scene?
I think Gordon's wheelchair is quite cool. I work with folks with disabilities and while none of the folks I know could afford it, but that has the look of a top of the line model out there. One would think that someone on Wayne's dole would get the best. I thought she should get that chair that the Segway creator made years ago...it rolls but also can climb steps and change height. Too cool.
I like Alfred spouting off wisdom from time to time. Like Buffy (my favorite empowered superhero female lead show) it is still good (to me) to have the modest voice of wisdom like Giles in that show. I don't think should over use him but an occasional visit is nice.
I will continue to watch it because of the serious derth of superhero shows (beyond Buffy and Angel, are there others?). Feeling more like penance.

ChrisLee

Stunt Coordinator
I liked the ep. After reading all the posts up to this one I can see how people are irritated by certain aspects of the show. I have never really read anything bat related with the exception of Knightfall. So I think this show is a little better to me in that I have no preconceptions about what should be there and what shouldn't. I'm not bothered by things like Dinah's name being Redmond rather then Lance or whether Bab's father is the commish or not. The way I see it is that this entire show exists outside of comic continuity so people should treat it as such.

And to that end let me add my name to the ongoing chorus by saying that being "half-meta" is completely stupid. And as an original idea for this thread let me add my 2 cents by demanding the death of Reece. Sorry writers. This character is to stupid to be a detective.

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
I was also bothered by the idea that a cop in gotham city did not know who Batman was. They have a batsignal for goodness sake, they have to try these criminal cases in court, the topic of HOW the creeps were caught HAS to come up. It requires too large a suspension of disbelief to believe that a cop in gothom, particularly one who follows the "wierd" cases, does not know about Batman.
A fantasy show requires you to make a leap of logic to enjoy the serries. The trick is to make it so you have to overlook one major item, then work hard to have everything make sense if you go along for the ride. Star Trek is a great example, they say transporters exist and have technobable about how fast ships can go ect. Remaining within the confines of logic after you make those conssessions is important.
That is actually why I love the Matrix so much. If you had a person able to do the things that Neo can do, I would have a hard time suspending my disbelief and would be distracted the whole movie. They gave a plausible explination for what was going on and now I can accept, without that "yeah right" factor, that they can jump building to building, dodge bullets, pull off the kind of fight scenes they did.
I think Birds of Prey has the opertuinity to be cool, but they need to work harder to avoid things that are just so over the top that you can't suspend your disbelief. That said, I still wish they had made a show about BATMAN and not Batman's daughter. lol. I will tune in next week and see if the show is really worth watching or not. I don't want to give up on it either, mostly because I love Harley Quinn from the animated serries and think she could make an awesome badgal. I also like having Alfred around, he helps tie the show to batman closer...I keep hoping that the show will evolve to have batman on it. :)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Why would the writers not let Reece know about Batman? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Maybe some comic book writers could get into the show biz scene?
Actually, there are quite a few good writers who write regularly for comics and write novels as well, some of them even make it to the big screen (with mixed results).

J. Michael Straczynski regularly writes for comics, and even during the Babylon 5 run he had a DC Babylon 5 series that actually fit in with the B5 continuity (a first, not even the ST comics did that).

Then there are the miserable failures like Frank Miller's terrible screenplays for Robocop 2 & 3.

Good writers are good writers regardless of what format they write in. I like it that good writers are now doing comics. There is good writing in TV, but far and few between.

Are the same writers for Smallville writing for BoP? The difference in quality between these two shows are astounding.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Same executive producers, different group of show-runners.

Interestingly, one of "Smallville"'s writers and consulting producers is Jeph Loeb, who is currently writing "Batman", "Spider-Man: Blue" (to be followed by "Hulk: Grey"), and is set for "Batman/Superman", as well as having just finished a stint on "Superman". Supposedly, he's also the head writer on "Buffy Animated". Most of his comics are good, and he really seems to do Superman better than most anyone who's written the character in recent years. Which is why I was pretty shocked to see how bad the "Smallville" he wrote ("Red") was - perhaps the worst of the series.

I've always wondered why you don't see more crossover between TV and comics writers. The jobs seem pretty similar - a script for a story that has to be self-contained and fit a larger macrostory which they hand off to guys who bring it to life (penciler, inker, colorist in comics; director, producer, cast in TV).

And yet you seldom see it - Loeb is doing some work; Peter David and Neil Gaiman did some B5 (and other TV); Brian Bendis is working on MTV's Spidey cartoon; Gerry Conway worked on "Hercules" and Howard Chaykin on "The Flash".

I like it that good writers are now doing comics. There is good writing in TV, but far and few between.
I don't know, TV seems pretty good recently. And writing for TV is more demanding - 22 scripts for a 45 minute show per year versus 12 scripts for a 22-page comic.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Apparently Helena can outrun a bullet (or so she claims)?
I was thinkin' she meant that he'd have trouble getting a bead on her, which a better tactic than outrunning for people in general :)
On the other hand, she was able to leave that hosptial room without actually opening the door, or open and close it so quickly it made no sound.
//Ken

Eric F

Screenwriter
I don't know, TV seems pretty good recently. And writing for TV is more demanding - 22 scripts for a 45 minute show per year versus 12 scripts for a 22-page comic.
When I say "TV" I mean broadcast TV. I don't have cable, as my local carrier's signal looks like crap, and I can't put up a dish.
Yes, there are good shows, but all I look forward too these days is Smallville and (gasp!) Enterprise. Well, Enterprise is a guilty pleasure, but it is the best SF on broadcast TV (I know that's not saying much), but as I don't have Sci-Fi, and cable stations like HBO seem to have all the best programming these days, I can't see them until (or if) they hit DVD.
The ironic thing in all this is I have an HDTV. Ah, yes, CSI looks amazing, but I'm bored by it already (both shows) and other than the occasional hi-def movie broadcast on ABC (loaded with commercials and promos, I suspect Gladiator HD will be well over 3hrs long:frowning:)there really isn't much worth watching.
The one bright spot in all this is my WB affiliate will be going HD soon, so at least I'll get to see Smallville that way.:)

Eric F

Screenwriter
I qualified why I look forward to it. Name another SF show on broadcast TV that's worth watching? I didn't like Firefly much. Is there anything else?

What else is good? My interests range in SF and Fantasy, and I'm pretty much bored with the dramas. I do watch Raymond occasionally, and I caught 24 on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks