Birds of Prey 10/23/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This episode was a step backwards. It had all the subtlety of a bull in a china shop.

I'm trying to figure out if you need both parents to be metahuman to be considered fully metahuman (which I doubt because metahumans, to me, are about genetics making a quantum jump in the evolutionary). All this crap about Helena calling herself half-metahuman is a non-sequitor (makes her feel like she's got a foot in each world: human and metahuman).

I guess Dinah will be Dinah Redmond, and who know when/if she'll get the Black Canary moniker. Was it just me, or did Rachel (Dinah) have a growth spurt of 3" between episodes because she's now just as tall or taller than (Ashley) Helena now.

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I liked the episode, but MAN is this show dumb sometimes...
    What exactly are Huntress' "superpowers" anyway? That she can jump high?
    Yes, it makes no sense that she's half metahuman, but that's just like in our society, you can be bi-racial, like white and black, but unless you tell someone they don't know.
    I also didn't like the reference to Fox Mulder, this is supposed to be a different universe, even though it's the same... references to fairly recent TV-show characters doesn't fit in.
    And the villain in this one, I mean, can you really blame him... his head was about to explode every time a metahuman was near, I'd be a bit ticked off at them too... [​IMG]
    Otherwise I like the mix of action and drama, I hope they get the cop to team up with them more, and I also hope they finally let Dinah become more involved. Oh, and that they PLEASE stop the cheesy close-up shot of the cat's eyes.
    /Mike

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

And yet, I still enjoyed it more than the first two. Subtle as a sledgehammer, sure, but the characters didn't seem completely phony. It also seemed less padded - no Alfred, no Harley, no need to show Babs's date.

(Aside - can we lose Alfred? He does nothing and I keep expecting him to shout out something like "dung-eating fool! When you misspoke the words, the army of the dead arose...")

I'll ignore the "half-metahuman" thing - "metahuman" itself is just goofy terminology anyway - but wasn't it established earlier that Helena being Bruce Wayne's daughter wasn't really a secret? I'm having a tougher time believing in Huntress's anonymity.

Fun easter eggs for the comic fans, though - Bludhaven has been mentioned on both "Smallivlle" and BoP, and Opal [City] is another prominent DC Universe city. Worth mentioning because I think that's Starman's base of operations, and there's a "Starman" series in development at WB for next season (on ABC, though). Might also be Black Canary's, and I've read that
    Dinah's mom, the original "Golden Age" Black Canary will show up on "Birds of Prey" this season.

Anyway, I at least found this good enough to earn a one-week repreive in terms of its probationary status.

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was the most annoyed at the fact that Reese had no idea about Batman. I mean c'mon! That was ridiculous. The episode felt more like wactching an X-men episode. The half meta thing is also ridiculous.

6. Marc_F

Marc_F Auditioning

I really really want to like this show, but the creators are making it difficult.

I agree with all the bothersome things you all have listed, but here are a few more stood out to me.

When the acid guy dies in the opening scene, why was the cop never seeen? Did Huntress not even think to look behind the dumpster? And if the cop was so close to both huntress and the acid guy, why didn't he get the massive headache then and there? Ohh and they say "We are not like that, we don't kill people", but letting people kill themselves is perfectly fine. Wouldn't it have been better if at the last second Huntress grabs the guy and says "No easy way out for you" and you see a quick scene of the guy in the New Arkham Asylum? Especially since I actually liked the villain and he had actual motivation to hate metahumans, besides the usual psycho motivation. That would allow him to come back at some later time.

Granted, I started to lose focus towards the end of the show, but was it explained how Oracle knew where Huntress was fighting the guy and got to her so quickly, not to mention a whole gang of people up on the roof. I guess it's possible that the Huntress/Cop final fight lasted over an hour if not more, but it sure didn't seem that way. Maybe a quick scene showing Oracle looking at a locator device and saying "she's close, lets get to her quick" would make it a bit more believable.

Marc

Edit:

And Reese not knowing Batman REALLY bothered me. Why not just make Reese, say yeah thats just a local myth. But being a cop and not even HEARING of Batman? Come on.

7. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Maybe one of the metahumans was able to locate her and that is how they found her so quickly.

My goodness people...this show is pure fantasy...let it be that. I have a harder time with how Barbara got up there with a wheel chair more than how they found Huntress.

There is no indication that Reece has been in Gotham for long, so maybe he doesn't know about Batman. It could also be that he simply doesn't believe in Batman sense he was never there during his time. Reece isn't the most easily convinced person.

If the show was to go totally off course, I would give up on it. It is pure fun at this point and that is why I have been coming back. I will continue to come back until it gets to a point to where it makes no sense what so ever.

Plus...again...comic book/fantasy here...just because Huntress says that he is dead, doesn't mean he is. We didn't see a crumbled body on the crowd or anything that was concrete. He could return and do battle again. Who knows.

But again, why does everything have to spelled out for you all. Just take it for what it is...a fantasy television based on a fantasy comic book. You want reality, watch PBS...we are talking the WB here for Christsakes...

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

9. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I believe Oracle said something about her comminicating bat thingy had gps built into it

capt

10. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Answer to Chuck's comment about Reese and being in Gotham...

From what I have read on some Birds of Prey web sites. Det.Reese's father was a crimelord in Gotham. So that he also has something to prove. So you have to assume he has grownup in Gotham. And still I don't like how nobody knows anything about Bats

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Yup, Opal City is Starman's city, and yup, Oracle used GPS to track Huntress down (her necklace amulet thingy I think).
    Reese does have more ties to New Gotham, IIRC it was reported on the Gotham Clock Tower website that Reese is the son of a corrupted mayor of the city
    - but I could be mis-remembering.
    There's upcoming episode spoilers on that website.

12. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Jason...I understand your point...BUT...let's look at other comics or television shows....

Lois Lane has the major hots for Superman, yet doesn't even notice that not only does Clark Kent have a great body for being a nerd, but also the same eyes...and voice.

Steve Trevor lusted after Wonder Woman and Diana lusted after Steve, but Steve never noticed the same things as said above in the Lois/Superman thing...

These things are not all supposed to make sense. If they made sense it would de-bunk the whole thinking of having someone that is metahuman.

As for Reese...he has seen Huntress is full on action such as in the second show...yet, he still doubts her? Yes, she is secretive and for a great reason, but this man is dumber than a box of rocks if he couldn't see through the shit that he should have seen through in last nights show. It wasn't even five minutes into the show that you know who was behind stuff...no mystery there whatsoever...

And Todd...you don't have to assume that Reece grew up in Gotham...just because his dad was there, doesn't mean that the family was. He could have lived elsewhere or something.
    It is a bigger world out there and there is life and cities beyound New Gotham.

And maybe...just maybe...Bab's wheelchair has OnStar...

What I am saying is, don't take this stuff seriously...they don't...have fun with it. Don't analyze...that is where it gets you into trouble.

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Yeah, this episode was corny as hell... I liked last week's though, with the water. It reminded me of the good awful first half of the second season of Dark Angel with the "Woe Betide Me, I'm Different Bit'

Did like the opening fight scene with acid man though, if nothing else this is the first live action show to get the sensibility of Batman fight scenes right. And the CG rooftop Huntress while not very real looking, is pretty neat. I like how when she jumps, the back of her coat whips up like Batman's cape would. This show doesn't have the vision of Gough and Millar's Smallville unfortuneately, but the potential's definitely there.

And don't get rid of Alfred... he's the man!

14. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The fight scenes have a few too many cuts.

15. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

16. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

So is Babs the daughter of Commisioner Gordon or not? Does he even exist in the BoP universe? If not that's just another nail in the coffin.

I don't think I'll be watching again.

17. MickeS

MickeS Producer

One more question: I understand that this show is based not only on some DC comics characters, but that BOP is actually a comic boook on its own, is that correct? If so, does the comic book deal with metahumans and villains with superpowers? Because the Batman movies and the Batman comics I read didn't (except for the crossovers and stuff like that). Mostly Batman was fighting insane villains like The Joker and Scarecrow, but I don't remember any superpower villains.

/Mike

18. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

19. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

That has been a major complaint of mine about BoP. Batman has alway been about people. Yes, a few of the villains had weird powers, but usually a result of their own "mad-scientist" type aspirations or accidents (ie[​IMG]oison Ivy). Mostly Batman villains are just freaks, psychopaths, or a strange-mix (Ras Ah-Guhl).
    Batman himself and his trainiees, companions (whatever you wanted to call them) were always human (albeit extraordinary), but got hurt, shot, and [sometimes] died.
    The super-powered element makes up most of BoP, it's too much like Mutant-X. It's definately not about Batman. Adding Batman elements was a bad idea. Good to attract an audience, but those who know anything about Batman are bound to be turned off by all this confusing meta-human stuff.
    Apparently Helena can outrun a bullet (or so she claims)? That's not the Batman I know. That's some other show on WB...

20. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

I really hate Barbara's electric wheelchair. I've never read the comic but I would have thought an ex-jock or ex-superhero would have just a regular wheelchair.

It just doesn't seem appropriate.