Birds of Prey - 10/16

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Lenhardt, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

A marked improvement over the pilot, this episode proved how much potential the show could have. They have a very workable trio, and one change from the original plans that I'm glad they made was making Alfred (and the actor who fits the role like a glove) a regular character instead of killing him off. As mentioned in a previous thread in this forum, the outfit is notably improved. The God-awful cat noises have been replaced with the oh so better sound of the leather trenchcoat thing flapping through the wind. Mia Sara has eased all doubts of mine that she can play Harley Quinn. She has a nice gentle persona for her therapy, but totally different mannerisms and that almost-over-the-top rendition of Harley's voice for her criminal affairs. Points for the 'Mister J' as well. If Dinah becomes a more developed character (and with Black Canary/her mother coming soon I can easily picture it) and they drop the remainder of the cheesy lines, I'm gonna be a happy viewer.

EDIT: Hit enter too early...

2. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

About 20 minutes into tonight's episode I was looking at my watch.

I think the big problem with this series is that is too ambitious. They gloss over the whole back story - why am I supposed to care about these people?

After 2 episodes I am amazed that this show is from the same people who make the excellent 'Smallville'.

3. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

I can not get into this show.

The producers changed so much stuff that I just can't enjoy it.

I can enjoy Smallville since they kept a lot of the original backstory in place. But this abomination is horrible.

The characters say New Gotham City but when Oracle is speaking over a microphone, she says Gotham Police. What?! I don't hear the New England Police being referred to as the England Police.

Another problem is that the producers answered the question of where The Joker ended up way too fast. Quinn says it within ten minutes of the second episode. The thing is, the producers are trying to use:

The Joker's incarceration in another city as a backstory for Quinn to get revenge on New Gotham City. WTF?!

My other problem is that The Huntress never covers her frickin' face. I really doubt the citizens of New Gotham would be that stupid, especially the police.

And another thing that peeves me off...

No mention of Bullock anywhere in the show? Call me picky but wouldn't slight references of previous "strong" characters from Barbara Gordon's past be a bit more convincing to the fans.

Finally...

Like that promise about the "less Kryptonite oriented" stories in Smallville, wasn't Batman NOT supposed to be referenced at all during the "regular" episodes?

If they can show Batman in the beginning of the film and even say Batman outright, then the writers should not have a problem of referencing him in the episodes. Especially since some of the older citizens of New Gotham would remember him.

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Well I liked this second episode much better than the pilot, and I even liked the pilot, ths one was even more enjoyable though. I can definitly see this show going the distance if it keeps coming up with great villians like 'Slick'. He sorta reminded me of the 'T-1000' from 'T2', altough the T-1000 had more charisma.
    I also am really liking this shows visual flair, especially when the camera swoops across the city from one location to the next. I also enjoy the scene's of them sitting outside in front of the clock at the end, they oughta make that a weekly thing at the end of each episode I think, kinda like the end of every 'Third Rock from the Sun' episode where they all sit out on the roof.
    I too liked Helena's outfit better in this episode than the first, but I agree that SHE NEEDS TO WEAR A MASK! It's just a superhero tradition. I mean one photo or video of her in action by a citizen and her cover is right out the window! She'll be plastered on every newspaper in New Gothem!
    Now, let me just say right here that I think that Ashley Scott is incredibly hot! [​IMG] She's got curves that could kill! Hell she even shames Jessica Alba and that's no easy task fella's. Those outfits...YOWZA!! [​IMG]

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

"Greetings, Super Friends!" - I do like Helena's sense of humor.

I've seen better 2nd episodes and I've seen worst 2nd episodes.

I enjoyed the episode last night as it continues to evolve from a lonesome duo of female crimefighters to a slighter larger family/team of female crimefighters. The inclusion of Dinah has made Helena and Barara want more out of their lives than just the monotonous grind of fighting criminal activity. It has revitalized their reason for doing what they do: using their gifts to make a difference in the world, but also trying to minimalize the impact of their crimefighting on their personal lives, and gain some balance in their lives.

I did find Helena's reversal in her distrust of Dinah to occur too quickly, but underneath Helena's cocky persona is a woman who does want what she didn't have growing up: a family that had her "back", and a semblance of romantic normalcy w/r/t a possible relationship with Reese.

Barabara has this large sense of her mission in life, and the adjustments she's had to make due to her crippling injuries inflicted by the Joker, but she's now making strides to pursue a relationship with a fellow teacher because Dinah (and Helena) has shown her that family (extended or otherwise) is what keeps people strong in her line of crimefighting work. She even reels off the names of the 3 different Robins to convince Helena that they need to stick together and if Dinah's metahuman talents can help them keep them ahead of the criminal elements, so much the better.

Dinah is young, ambitious, but has a level head on her, and isn't too scared to be placed in dangerous predicaments. That might place her in jeopardy in the early goings as she learns what she can and can't do. As the season goes on, her backstory will continue to unfold, and it will be a learning experience for Helena and Barbara as well.

Alfred is a trip. His expectations of Helena and Barbara are high, but his confidence in their ability to figure stuff out is borne out of their years of fighting crime together for the past 5 years as a team. I like his relationship with both Barbara and Dinah (so far). Alfred seems to always see the good in people, while never forgetting their humanity either (being an empathetic person with insight to people with painful life baggage).

I don't really have the problems with "New Gotham" and the liberties it takes on a possible future where Batman basically retires and Barbara Gordon continues Batman's legacy in crimefighting. I'm inclined to just go with it, just like when I watch the Flash TV show. I don't even mind it when they mention Batman on a weekly basis, but I'm sure they'll move away from that once they are satisfied that the audience gets that Helena is the offspring of Batman and Catwoman.

Harley Quinn is an evil woman, that's for sure. I got a good laugh out of the shower scene with her and Slick, especially how she showed her displeasure with Slick. Ouch! Mia Sara looked a lot better in this episode, and she's got her dual personas down better from the 1st episode. I think she'll get better as the season progresses. I know it'll seem like retreaded territory (much like Clark and Lex's relationship in Smallville) with Harleen being a confidant of Helena's, but it'll have some good emotional content of betrayal as the season's major "big bad Harley" storyline progresses.

Helena's fight scenes were actually pretty decent, given that it's a TV show with a much smaller schedule and budget than other movies that have this kind of hand-to-hand combat in them.

All in all, I'm not unhappy with the 2nd episode, nor the direction of the show so far.

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I don't recall the exact line, but I figured that the Joker is in Arkham -- is that supposed in the city limits, or "just outside town" -- or in state prison, which would also be out in the boonies somewhere. Just that they finally got him and he is rotting someplace. No big deal.

I still think Catwoman looks lousy in that opening sequence, with the goofy tilted head and stringy blonde hair.

//Ken

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Plus Harley visited the guy in the straitjacket at Arkham Asylum in the season premiere last week.

I don't think the Joker is being held at Arkham either.

Also, technically Dinah saved Helena's life in the season premiere as well.