What's new

Bird baths (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Anyone have one set up in their yard? Do birds actually use it?

I've had one up for over a month and change the water regularly, but no takers despite having a wide variety of birds that hang out in my backyard and at my bird feeders. Have moved it twice in the hope a different location would appeal to them. I even bought a solar powered fountain hoping the sound of water would attract them, but haven't seen more than one bird sitting on the edge having a drink.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Anyone have one set up in their yard? Do birds actually use it?

I've had one up for over a month and change the water regularly, but no takers despite having a wide variety of birds that hang out in my backyard and at my bird feeders. Have moved it twice in the hope a different location would appeal to them. I even bought a solar powered fountain hoping the sound of water would attract them, but haven't seen more than one bird sitting on the edge having a drink.
I guess it just depends.
The birds use the bird bath in my yard so often that during the summer I usually have to refill the water at least once a day. It is constantly busy, and they love it. I also feed them very often with bread, and other baked goods so maybe that is why so many show up.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I live in Phoenix, AZ, and we have two birdbaths in our back yard. One is static and the other is a three-tier powered fountain. We literally have DOZENS of birds using both. We also have two feeders out, but in our climate the water is just as attractive to them as the food. And, there's no telling WHO might show up for a drink and a bath:

IMG_3608.jpg IMG_3617.jpg
IMG_3714.jpg

mylan

Screenwriter
Yes, I have a giant one in my backyard, 24,500 gallons to be exact. My wife noticed several birds swooping in and skimming the pool and then flying off to the privacy fence to bathe, we've had the pool for fifteen years and have never seen this until this year.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Perhaps they don't like someone watching them bathe, so they only do it when you're away.

Or maybe most of them would prefer a shower. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks