Birch Hardwood from Home Depot

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rick Westfall, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

Anyone use this material for building their sub enclosure? I priced both the MDF and this birch (48" x 96" sheet). MDF is about $18 and the birch is about $30. Looks like I can just stain the birch after some sanding. The MDF I would have to veneer or something to get a good stain on it. Seems like the birch would require less work. Any thoughts on why I would want to go with MDF over the birch?

Rick

2. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

I read somewhere that real wood has weaknesses and cracks in it that may show up later on down the road where as MDF and better yet HDF is uniformly solid now and in the future.

I believe that is why Edge Audio Now Aperion Audio switched from real wood to HDF.

(Shrug) hope it helps

3. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure he meant to say Birch plywood. In that case, I would not recommend HD's for sub enclosures. IME, it is low quality in terms of voids within the plys. And you'll notice only one side is 'cabinet quality' (and barely that). So you'll have to plan your construction one extra step (no big deal really). But I'd stick with the uniformally dense MDF.

4. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

Baldemar...thanks for the clarification. I did mean to say Birch plywood. I guess that changes things [​IMG]

5. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I would agree. After using both materials I would recommend MDF for sub enclosures. You could use a veneer over the MDF when finished. At this point I'm favoring a quality plywood for mains, etc., with either hardwood corners or veneer banding tape to hide the edges.

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Tim, Is there any reason why you wouldn't just miter the corners and avoid the additional veneer banding? You could also use internal braces to hold the mitered corners together.

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Actually, for a subwoofer enclosure, good plywood would be okay, because the density of MDF doesn't help at subwoof frequencies, as I recall - only to bass/mid-bass frequencies.
    Someone please correct me if I'm off base.

8. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

You wrong Hank? Nawwwww.....
    I built a sub with plywood and MDF bracing. It came out great. I'm just thinking if cheap and simple works then why not? I guess if you want the wood grain look and don't want to mess with veneer then plywood is the best option.

9. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

I would recommend a lock Miter joint then it is mega strong, and gives you a prefect 90 degree corner.

[​IMG]

thats true 13 ply BB with a lock miter joint.

10. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

yeah i dropped some serious cash on my router table and it does lock miters wonderfully.

11. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

Allen, is there a reason you went across the grain on that joint? Your veneer got a little torn up there. Going with the grain would make a perfectly smooth cut. Nice Plywood by the way, I wish I had access to high quality wood down here. [​IMG]